LLY to LBZ Conversion Complete

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
www.fleeceperformance.com
I just finished up most of the minor details of my LLY to LBZ conversion in my 2004.5 LLY.

Using a 2006 Harness there are only a few wires that need to be repinned, and a GMLAN link needs to be added (2 wires) to the DataLink Connector.

Within an hour I was flashing my Bosch ECM and 6 Speed TCM with EFILive in the cab :D

I know that Pat had done this to casper, but wanted to let people know that it's doable.

If anybody wanted to do the swap I have a couple connectors that I could repin and you could just use as an adapter, plug and play style.

:thumb:

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Finally you have time to finish your own truck. Can I have your lly stuff:rofl:

Last edited:

A_T_Ver

Jul 31, 2007
So this is just a wiring harness with GMLAN application wired in as well.
I'd like to swap this summer if all goes well. What about having the FICM and a 5 speed trans, no problem? I don't do so well with this wiring stuff. :D

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I just finished up most of the minor details of my LLY to LBZ conversion in my 2004.5 LLY.

Using a 2006 Harness there are only a few wires that need to be repinned, and a GMLAN link needs to be added (2 wires) to the DataLink Connector.

Within an hour I was flashing my Bosch ECM and 6 Speed TCM with EFILive in the cab :D

I know that Pat had done this to casper, but wanted to let people know that it's doable.

If anybody wanted to do the swap I have a couple connectors that I could repin and you could just use as an adapter, plug and play style.

I know you'll probably take this as me being an ass... but... :D

it already is plug and play...is it not? Well...basically... I did a lot of the wiring when I was running my truck on a 4th gen 6-speed TCM.......You unplug the LLY harness from underneath the UBEC, 7mm nut driver, disconnect the harness from the driver side framerail to the EBCM, xfer case, and transmission harness. Unbolt the LLY ECM bracket, bolt in the LBZ ECM bracket, install the LBZ engine comparement harness, install the harness that goes down to the trans/xfer case/whatever, plug it into the UBEC, and away you go. Splice in 2 wires for the high/low GMLAN, twisted pair, they are brown on the ECM harness and blue on the TCM harness (I might be wrong, thats off memory???), and run an additional wire for the "driver shift request"/tapshift signal. I think its purple if I remember correctly.

I cant think of any other 'custom' wiring that needs to be done other than the driver shfit request wire and the two 500k gmlan wires...

the factory harness runs the shift request and 500k gmlan wires through an additional connector/splice pack thats mounted on the UBEC. I think its C206, but again all my wiring stuff is on the other computer so I could very well be wrong on that. Basically an additional piggyback because the 03-05 UBEC wiring harnesses dont have the provisions for it...GM used some extra pins on that C206 connector (I think it also has torque signal wires for gassers w/stabilitrak, and some class 2 wiring)

im starting work on one for a customer very soon who has a blown up 03 LB7 with 99k miles thats out of warranty. :(

ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
So this is just a wiring harness with GMLAN application wired in as well.
I'd like to swap this summer if all goes well. What about having the FICM and a 5 speed trans, no problem? I don't do so well with this wiring stuff. :D

you get rid of the FICM, and you have to swap to a 6-speed trans, TCM, etc...

(well ok you can turn a 5-speed into a 6-speed if you swap valve bodies, NSBU, internal wiring harness, etc...but the 6-spd still has a better fornt rotating assembly)

ok brayden ill shut up and stop stepping on your thread. ;)

ben

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
Well since you've done it.... ... like almost, but not really but like kind of... ;)

If you just swap harness' in the UBEC you'll find that it doesn't exactly work.

The conversion harness that I was talking about was for one connector that needs repinned. It might be easier for some people to snap two connectors together than familiarize themselves with metripack connection systems and buy the terminals that have to be swapped when switching between GT150 and GT280 Terminal cavities.

There is no splicing necessary but there are quite a few discrepancies in pin locations that need to be addressed before you can just simply plug the connector into the UBEC.

I know you'll probably take this as me being an ass... but... :D

it already is plug and play...is it not? Well...basically... I did a lot of the wiring when I was running my truck on a 4th gen 6-speed TCM.......You unplug the LLY harness from underneath the UBEC, 7mm nut driver, disconnect the harness from the driver side framerail to the EBCM, xfer case, and transmission harness. Unbolt the LLY ECM bracket, bolt in the LBZ ECM bracket, install the LBZ engine comparement harness, install the harness that goes down to the trans/xfer case/whatever, plug it into the UBEC, and away you go. Splice in 2 wires for the high/low GMLAN, twisted pair, they are brown on the ECM harness and blue on the TCM harness (I might be wrong, thats off memory???), and run an additional wire for the "driver shift request"/tapshift signal. I think its purple if I remember correctly.

I cant think of any other 'custom' wiring that needs to be done other than the driver shfit request wire and the two 500k gmlan wires...

the factory harness runs the shift request and 500k gmlan wires through an additional connector/splice pack thats mounted on the UBEC. I think its C206, but again all my wiring stuff is on the other computer so I could very well be wrong on that. Basically an additional piggyback because the 03-05 UBEC wiring harnesses dont have the provisions for it...GM used some extra pins on that C206 connector (I think it also has torque signal wires for gassers w/stabilitrak, and some class 2 wiring)

im starting work on one for a customer very soon who has a blown up 03 LB7 with 99k miles thats out of warranty. :(

ben

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Well since you've done it.... ... like almost, but not really but like kind of... ;)

If you just swap harness' in the UBEC you'll find that it doesn't exactly work.

The conversion harness that I was talking about was for one connector that needs repinned. It might be easier for some people to snap two connectors together than familiarize themselves with metripack connection systems and buy the terminals that have to be swapped when switching between GT150 and GT280 Terminal cavities.

There is no splicing necessary but there are quite a few discrepancies in pin locations that need to be addressed before you can just simply plug the connector into the UBEC.

yes...you were right... :) I just checked my other computer that has the serivce info on it...I missed 3 or 4 purple wires that provide power to the TCM. You need to change those. Everything else is the same. On the 06 UBEC, the TCM is powered off of a fuse thats actually labeeld TCM...where as on 05 and earlier I think its piggybacked onto the PCM B fuse....At least thats the fuse I always blow when Im cutting wires on my TCM harness with the batteries still connected. :joker:

Last edited:

Brayden

Jan 16, 2008
yes...you were right... :) I just checked my other computer that has the serivce info on it...I missed 3 or 4 purple wires that provide power to the TCM. You need to change those. Everything else is the same. On the 06 UBEC, the TCM is powered off of a fuse thats actually labeeld TCM...where as on 05 and earlier I think its piggybacked onto the PCM B fuse....At least thats the fuse I always blow when Im cutting wires on my TCM harness with the batteries still connected. :joker:

Then there are more wires pinned incorrectly in another harness ......

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Then there are more wires pinned incorrectly in another harness ......

yeah that one other one that I mentioned the first post with the torque signals and stuff for SUV's with VSES...thats where the driver shift request wires go into the cab

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Sounds great Brayden! Now can you work on a way to convert a LB7 to LBZ with just a harness ECM and TCM:D

its the same...the [03-04] LB7's and LLY's are so similar that converting any 03-05 truck to LBZ is the same procedure...

now, making a 01-02 LB7 into an LBZ would be a huge PITA.

A_T_Ver

Jul 31, 2007
This sounds more than i want to tear into. I'll be paying someone to do this. Lol :thumb:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
ok I just looked, C100, thats the one thats different, 4 wires have to be moved, HS GMLAN, driver shift request, and the check engine light signal.

if you look ont he schematics you'll see a "engine on signal" also in the way, but that doesnt exist on our trucks im almost positive. The engine on signal if im not mistaken is for the suplemental brake assist on the half ton SUV's with vacuum brakes???

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
So your saying you could drive the LB7 injectors with the LBZ ECM and no FICM?

no...you have to swap in an entire LBZ engine (with the injectors etc), ECM, TCM, harness, and trans...

BUT the wiring harnesses are all 'plug and play'...so its not like you'll be sitting there splicing a million wires together for hours on end.

make sense?