LLY overheating when idle

ejr12d

Oct 2, 2020
2005 lly here with 308k miles.
HSP high flow bundle kit
Pcv reroute
Head gaskets were replaced about at 250k miles along with new water pump.

Truck has been running fine up until last week where I noticed temps went north of 200. It usually sits around 178-180 and maybe up to 198 on a hot day.
It got all the way up to 230 when I got off the expressway. It seems to only overheat when driving in the city and not on the expressway. Any input on this will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ejr12d

Oct 2, 2020
Radiator/intercooler clogged with debris? Ever "clean the stack"?
Fan clutch worn out? Ever replace that?
Tstats ever been replaced?

I have not cleaned it. Fan clutch seems fine to me, working properly, not loose or anything like that. Tstas were replaced about 60k miles ago.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I have not cleaned it. Fan clutch seems fine to me, working properly, not loose or anything like that. Tstas were replaced about 60k miles ago.

With 305k on it, fan clutch probably has never been replaced and it's finally dieing. They are a wear item. While 200° isn't "hot" it's definitely cold side of warm.

Recommend replacement fan clutch is a Hayden 2886 it's about $80.00 give or take, can search "2886" there are plenty of reviews and posts about it.

And cleaning the cooling stack mainly the air side of the radiator

ejr12d

Oct 2, 2020
With 305k on it, fan clutch probably has never been replaced and it's finally dieing. They are a wear item. While 200° isn't "hot" it's definitely cold side of warm.

Recommend replacement fan clutch is a Hayden 2886 it's about $80.00 give or take, can search "2886" there are plenty of reviews and posts about it.

And cleaning the cooling stack mainly the air side of the radiator

Got it thanks. Labor expensive for that? And should upgrade anything while I’m at it that’s related to that

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Got it thanks. Labor expensive for that? And should upgrade anything while I’m at it that’s related to that

Id have a hard time thinking they'd charge more than 1 hr to swap a fan clutch..
Downside most shops frown on you bringing your own parts..
No clue what shop rate is in your area

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Some good info in this thread iirc the lly doesn't have the "wagon wheel" shroud