LLY motor spins like no compression

Doug Diesel

May 21, 2010
I drove my truck yesterday and everything was fine no noises no codes no nothing this morning I got up and tried to start the truck the truck sounds like it has no compression it backfired smoke out of the air breather. The truck spins the belt on the front of the motor like it should I took the belt off of the motor and tried to move the crankshaft everything is tight and no play in the shaft any suggestions.

DougDiesel

Feb 22, 2012
That's what I am thinking I just hope nothing else is bent. If so am I going to need a new cam or do you think it could be salvageable.

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
If the top didnt turn, 100% you have bend valves and pushrods. It's an interference engine afterall. Still a freak accident for this to happen.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
You might want to remove the crankshaft sensor and take a look inside to see if reluctor wheel came loose ,this seems to happen some times . Good luck!

DougDiesel

Feb 22, 2012
I need some answers

Ok it did break the cam pin and it has been replaced with all GM parts. Now the motor starts and sounds fine other than the motor sounds very deep. The motor runs like it is in limp mode. It will only rev to 2500 rpm and smokes black like a freight train. My turbo doesn't seem to be changing the vanes and is making no boost. I have changed the vane position sensor and the vane position solenoid and also the map sensor. Also did a compression test and all 8 cylinders are showing 320Lbs. The truck has 285000 on the clock. Any help to what it could be would help me out. It did have a code of low turbo manifold pressure. The truck seems like its not letting the exhaust go through the turbo so I checked the vanes manually and the shaft on the turbo works back and forth fine. I am out of ideas

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Ok it did break the cam pin and it has been replaced with all GM parts. Now the motor starts and sounds fine other than the motor sounds very deep. The motor runs like it is in limp mode. It will only rev to 2500 rpm and smokes black like a freight train. My turbo doesn't seem to be changing the vanes and is making no boost. I have changed the vane position sensor and the vane position solenoid and also the map sensor. Also did a compression test and all 8 cylinders are showing 320Lbs. The truck has 285000 on the clock. Any help to what it could be would help me out. It did have a code of low turbo manifold pressure. The truck seems like its not letting the exhaust go through the turbo so I checked the vanes manually and the shaft on the turbo works back and forth fine. I am out of ideas

You need to verify that the turbo is getting oil to it. I've seen trucks that have spun cam bearings when they shear the cam pin. If the #4 cam bearing spun, it will block the oil supply hole to the turbo. If the turbo isn't getting oil, it can't operate the vanes in the turbo.

DougDiesel

Feb 22, 2012
Can I take the oil line off the top of the turbo and put it in a jar and start the motor to check it? Will the line shoot oil out of it hard enough to spray it out of a mason jar with a rag over it? Or is the oil going to come out of the turbo side with the top line being the return line?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The top line is the feed, and it should shoot oil out of there pretty good. It will be at whatever your oil pressure is, which on a cold start will be high.

You might want to get a buddy to hold the line in the jar while you start it and run it a few seconds.