LLY mods for LBZ airbox?

colinstephens93

Feb 26, 2015
Are there any modifications I need to do to my LLY to make the LBZ airbox run better? Already had the maf rescaled. I'm just not sure if there are any additional things I need to consider ?

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Cut a bigger hole in the fenderwell and skip the PPE mod..
-
-
-
9i5lia.jpg

-
-
-

Last edited:

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
In my lbz I have this plastic piece in the fender. Looks like if you take it out it will have better air flow. Has anyone taken it out? What is it for?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
In my lbz I have this plastic piece in the fender. Looks like if you take it out it will have better air flow. Has anyone taken it out? What is it for?
I believe it's just a water blocker. Mine has been gone for years.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I changed the picture in my earlier post, I believe the plastic part in the picture is the fresh air intake for the A/C and cab, I never did follow where it went.

Or this thing, well that's the water blocker spinny thingy air enturbulator dirt deflector...
=
=
=
nccmfk.jpg

=
=
=

Last edited:

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
I changed the picture in my earlier post, I believe the plastic part in the picture is the fresh air intake for the A/C and cab...
I just looked at the pic and that is the same plastic piece I have in my fender. Just wondering what it was.....

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Okay, so on my fenderwell on my LLY is just a silver "heat shield" looking area where the airbox butts up against. Should I cut that out completely? I've noticed the gauge type thing on my intake (the push button thing that lets you know if your filter is getting clogged) keeps getting to the point where i can push it and it moves after just a day of driving.

Could this be caused by the airbox being pressed so close against the fenderwell and there being no hole cut there allowing more air? The filter was put on in december btw

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
You need to open up the opening in the fender like posted above, but also you need to open up the fender to let more air into the fender. I did one and it kept sucking the filter minder in right to the red. I took the passenger side headlight out, drilled 3 3/4" holes in the fender right behind the headlight, and took a grinder and opened it up to an oval opening, and the filter minder barely pulled in after that. This was on an 04 GMC, but it couldn't get enough air into the fender to allow either airbox to keep up with what teh engine needed.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
You need to open up the opening in the fender like posted above, but also you need to open up the fender to let more air into the fender.

Okay so what do you mean open up the opening in the fender AND open up the fender to let more air in?

From what I've gathered I just need to make a cut like the pic posted above?

Thanks for your help btw

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Post a picture of the inside of the LLY fenderwell, the larger the better and what ever it is you're referring to..

Okay I uploaded the pic you uploaded, but made a few changes. I dont have the hole there, its just my fender well.

I also had to remove the black plate that the airbox should sit on since the LBZ intake has those two tubes at the bottom.

Attachments

• 9i5lia.jpg
    9i5lia.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 53

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Post a picture of the inside of the LLY fenderwell, the larger the better and what ever it is you're referring to..

Okay I uploaded the pic you uploaded, but made a few changes. I dont have the hole there, its just my fender well.

I also had to remove the black plate that the airbox should sit on since the LBZ intake has those two tubes at the bottom.

Remove the drainage "rubbers" or cut a hole in the mounting plate for the drainage "rubbers" on the intake, that plate supports the air box.....Do you have a picture of YOUR fenderwell not cutout?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I opened up the opening from the fender to the airbox like the pic above, but it kept sucking the filter minder in still. I ended up having to also open up the opening into the fender itself to allow the airbox to get enough air into the filter box. Many do the PPE mod which opens up the airbox to the front and takes away the fender as the restriction where the air must come through, but this method can allow for more heated air to go into the airbox IMHO. So I opened up the fender itself so it could get enough air into the airbox, but still pull the air from where it isn't heated by the cooling stack.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I opened up the opening from the fender to the airbox like the pic above, but it kept sucking the filter minder in still. I ended up having to also open up the opening into the fender itself to allow the airbox to get enough air into the filter box. Many do the PPE mod which opens up the airbox to the front and takes away the fender as the restriction where the air must come through, but this method can allow for more heated air to go into the airbox IMHO. So I opened up the fender itself so it could get enough air into the airbox, but still pull the air from where it isn't heated by the cooling stack.

If you ever get a chance, do you have any pics?