LLY EGR delete codes

alohazabel

Sep 18, 2017
Just did head gaskets and egr delete on 2005 LLY with 115k miles.

It was stock, not tuned.

It runs good, but now throws 4 or 5 codes all egr related.

I need to get the truck inspected, but can't with the check engine light on.

Is there any way to get rid of the codes long enough to pass inspection without buying a tuner?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
at this point, its your only choice without buying a tune. otherwise, if that is so, the EGR has to be plugged back in and zip tied up out of the way somewhere.

jrJones44*

Dec 10, 2017
Tulse ,OK
You did not state the numbers on the two codes it is flaging.
Usually the codes relate to a difference between the actual EGR position and the desired EGR position. most of those codes can be corrected by removing the EGR valve and cleaning it. What happens is the pintle gets stuck because of the dirty exhaust gasses that are passed through it.
Sometimes the valve itself goes bad and the sensor inside the valve does not report the correct position.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You did not state the numbers on the two codes it is flaging.
Usually the codes relate to a difference between the actual EGR position and the desired EGR position. most of those codes can be corrected by removing the EGR valve and cleaning it. What happens is the pintle gets stuck because of the dirty exhaust gasses that are passed through it.
Sometimes the valve itself goes bad and the sensor inside the valve does not report the correct position.

You should probably read the first post a little closer ;)

alohazabel

Sep 18, 2017
Just read this on the kennedy diesel site: SPOT ON. I would be the dumb "diesel newbie" in this scenario.

"EGR Delete
This one has been growing in popularity as of late and is a key source of frustration on my part. People tend use
the term EGR delete universally for any mod relating to the EGR. Then some unsuspecting “diesel newbie” hears
this and goes out and orders an EGR delete kit not knowing what he/she is in for. EGR delete by my definition is
complete removal of system components which is a highly invasive and unnecessary procedure. It also requires
ECM programming to deal with the DTC’s associated with removal of the EGR motor. Essentially an EGR delete
removes the EGR valve/motor assembly along with the EGR cooler etc. It requires serious plumbing changes to the
exhaust and intake and in my opinion is only advisable for the hard core racer. "

Last edited:

alohazabel

Sep 18, 2017
so if I have to buy a tune to get rid of the codes, what is the best way to go. Need the egr delete, and would probably just want to go economy to get better MPG, its just a daily driver and tows a small trailer and boat.

...and will it pass inspection in NY with a tune installed as long as the cel's are off?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You will have to do some research on the ny deal.

As for tunes, pick a tuner, tell them what you want, and flash it in. Go through our vendor list here for a tuner and you will be good

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Obviously once your vehicle is “Deleted” it is a Off road only vehicle:thumb:
First rule of fight club... Don’t talk about fight club
Back on topic though this is under the exemptions list on their dmv website
(Diesel powered vehicles model year 1997 and newer that weigh under 8,501 lbs.)

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Last I check ny falls under the same smog regs as ca. Which means if you remove or tamper with any emission related parts or computer it will not pass smog. These states have a visual inspection, which once removed won’t pass and a obdII check for completed emission monitors. Depending on how your tuning is done it more then likely won’t pass the obdII scan.

Good luck.

alohazabel

Sep 18, 2017
I did some more reading about the fingerstick method. If I just reattach (plug in) the actual egr valve (not the cooler and other stuff), and then wire in a finger stick, will that defeat the codes?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
at this point, its your only choice without buying a tune. otherwise, if that is so, the EGR has to be plugged back in and zip tied up out of the way somewhere.

I did some more reading about the fingerstick method. If I just reattach (plug in) the actual egr valve (not the cooler and other stuff), and then wire in a finger stick, will that defeat the codes?

yes, that is what i was stating but if what rfletes is saying is true, you still wont pass inspection

alohazabel

Sep 18, 2017
I got it inspected today, no problems. Apparently, diesels above a certain weight (which 3/4 ton pickups meet) don't need to be plugged into the obii (at least in upstate NY) when being inspected. It might be different on LI and in NYC though.

I'm still going to either do the finger stick. or buck up for efi live though because it just feels like it drives different with the egr codes on.

Thanks for the help so far, and I'll update this after the codes are taken care of.

rfletes79

Mar 5, 2010
Galt, Ca 95632
Awesome, guess it never hurts just to try it out. There are a couple low populated counties here in Ca that have different rules when it comes to smog checks. Sounds like NY has some of the same...... that's good!!

alohazabel

Sep 18, 2017
yup, the guy who inspected was laughing about it, saying that the rules make no sense, and talking about all the kids driving their tuned diesels around billowing black smoke everywhere.