Line Lock Installation, 2004 3500 C&C

jollybuildingmover

Apr 21, 2015
I have been trying to come up with a plan for my truck. It is an auto, and I do a lot of hardcore pulling with the winch dragging buildings. I do need to get the rear parking brake adjusted, but I need some extreme holding power. I have heard tell of guys in the same business I am in popping park pawls when pulling hard. So I had a thought today while making a particularly heavy pull, what if I install a line Lock on the front brakes? Then I can the lock the front brakes, set the park brake, and pull my heart out. Right now if I am needing to make a hard pull either myself or someone else has to sit on the brakes in the cab. Anyone have experience installing a line Lock on one of these? With the 4 wheel ABS, am I gonna have to run 2 line locks, one each side?

04 3500 LB7 C&C
We move Portable Buildings!

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
The best part about the mico is if it is accidentally engaged your brakes will still work, they just won't release until you turn it off. It acts like a one way valve when turned on, unlike line locks ment for drag racing.

jollybuildingmover

Apr 21, 2015
I will have to look into the MICO. That may hit the spot. I searched line lock lady night and found nothing except rear end locker threads.

04 3500 LB7 C&C

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ive never seen or heard of anyone breaking an Allison park pawl. You will break lots of other stuff on the truck before that thing gives way....

784x4chev

Sep 18, 2011
Have you tried a really heavy aggressive wheel chock, like the fire trucks and wreckers use?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jollybuildingmover

Apr 21, 2015
I have not tried an actual wheel chock set. My biggest concern other than the dragging of the truck is keeping all the pressure off of the park pawl. I have heard of guys in my line of work breaking a park pawl, but I don't know what make of trucks this has happened in. I at times have had enough weight on the end of the line to drag the truck across pavement, but most of the time when I put the truck in neutral and stand on the brakes, it does just fine.

04 3500 LB7 C&C

baddaddition

Mar 10, 2013
I say read-head gun and some 1" anchors and tie her to the pavement..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

baddaddition

Mar 10, 2013
I actually have always wanted to build a set of manual pinion breaks for loading and unloading of big gooseneck trailers. Sometimes I've pushed the truck, but a nice small set of disk on pinions would be handy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

GeorgiaDieselGTO

Wants to drive his truck
May 12, 2010
Crossville
I actually move buildings as well. :) The Dodge guys with sticks around here use the mico valves but with my dmax I never worry about it. I push my truck around with the tounge extension all the time and have never broke one. When I'm gonna be pushing it hard I put it in 4LO. Mico makes a decent valve if u want to go that route but he parking pawl in an Allison is huge

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I have heard of guys in my line of work breaking a park pawl, but I don't know what make of trucks this has happened in.

I would be extremely surprised if any of them were Allisons.

The trans hard parts (including the park pawl) are shared with the Allison 2400 and 2550 series...which are medium duty transmissions rated for 30,000lbs GVWR/GCWR. Due to the fact that they are used in severe-duty/abuse medium duty applications, you can be guaranteed that Allison tests the crap out of them with way more weight, on 20% grades or more.

The trans was designed for wayyyy more than a 1-ton pickup truck. ;) :)

I think you'll find tire traction is the issue, not holding capacity. Line lock wouldnt hurt, as it would ease strain on the u-joints and such...but bottom line is the park pawl shouldnt be a concern.

Ben