lift pump soon what size do I need ?

SofaKing

Jul 20, 2015
Wisconsin
Looking at Fass and Air Dog. Mostly stock except for the PPE excelerator programmer. Will be putting in a new intake horn and exhaust this summer.
I like the idea of the extra filtration and having a water seperator. Truck will also be getting injectors again. Not going with any huge power builds or twins.

But the question is do I need 100,150, or 165 GPH lift pump?

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
I have the 150 and stock size injectors it is more than I need but when I get bigger injectors I'll already have a big enough pump. I see the 150/165 as being common on trucks tho

SofaKing

Jul 20, 2015
Wisconsin
Fass 150

FASS 150 is a great pump! We have them in stock!

Where does the kit have this mount to the truck? Do I have to drop the tank or pull the box? I pulled the box on my 01 Cummins some years ago to put a air dog on. And had trouble with fill ups afterwards. If you filled it till the pump shut off the pick up tube would blow out and diesel would run on the ground. I hated the idea of drilling a hole into the tank. But that's what the instructions stated:mad: and I wished there was a better option.

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
Can mount it anywhere instructions say under the bed by the drivers side cab. Mines on the frame rail passenger side of the truck for now. Planning to move it to where the spare tire used to be. No drilling in the tank only mod is cutting the filler neck and putting the return fitting into it. It took me about a hour and a few beers to do:thumb:

wilsondiesel

Nov 11, 2015
Sedalia, MO
I used to run Fass but had a problem and their customer service was terrible. I switched to Air Dog-Pureflow Technologies and their customer service is next to non! Both are good brands of pumps I believe.

DefiantArms

Limp Mode Cowboy
Jan 28, 2016
St. Augustine, FL
I second the sump I don't have one yet but need one it is supposed to help if the pump cavitates " apparently there's a little check valve in the fuel pickup in the tank that will limit the fuel output and cause the pump to cavitate? " the tech with FASS told me this and they picked up the phone and was very helpful every time I called so no complaints with customer service here

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Mike It may be the Roshan internet service but I'm only getting one pic showing up.

So in theory a sump solves this problem?

Yep

I second the sump I don't have one yet but need one it is supposed to help if the pump cavitates " apparently there's a little check valve in the fuel pickup in the tank that will limit the fuel output and cause the pump to cavitate? " the tech with FASS told me this and they picked up the phone and was very helpful every time I called so no complaints with customer service here

He is in part correct the return makes up for that for the most part, it has more to do with breaking the rule of thumb for pumps, a pump requires a larger supply (suction) than what is being pressurized. 1-1/2 times the size for the suction size is optimum, a 5/8" is better but a 1/2" should do for a daily driver..........

More on the fuel tank pickup..

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...2-if-you-only-knew-about-your-fuel-lines.html