Let the conversion begin

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Well I think my stock Allison is getting a little tired. No codes or anything and it's still holding tunes fine but I've noticed the shifts aren't as nice as they used to be. So the past several months I've been going back and forth between a built trans or swapping in a zf6. My first Duramax was a zf and I kick myself for selling it every time I see the truck.

So that's the route I'm going. I'll be sourcing a trans locally hopefully. Probably do the swap here in a couple months. Plan is a dual disk of some kind. Possibly South-Bend but going to research valair and Kennys Pulling Parts.

Questions I haven't found answers to are: can the Allison bellhousing to engine bolts be reused with the zf?
Can the transfer case to trans bolts be reused as well?
How does the aluminum rear driveshaft hold up to abuse from a zf? (My old zf had a steel shaft, don't know if they ever came with aluminum from factory)
Best to stick with gm slave/master cylinders or have people had good luck with aftermarket?

Sorry for all the questions, I will likely do it at work so I don't want to tie up a lift any longer than necessary.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Well I think my stock Allison is getting a little tired. No codes or anything and it's still holding tunes fine but I've noticed the shifts aren't as nice as they used to be. So the past several months I've been going back and forth between a built trans or swapping in a zf6. My first Duramax was a zf and I kick myself for selling it every time I see the truck.

So that's the route I'm going. I'll be sourcing a trans locally hopefully. Probably do the swap here in a couple months. Plan is a dual disk of some kind. Possibly South-Bend but going to research valair and Kennys Pulling Parts.

Questions I haven't found answers to are: can the Allison bellhousing to engine bolts be reused with the zf?
Can the transfer case to trans bolts be reused as well?
How does the aluminum rear driveshaft hold up to abuse from a zf? (My old zf had a steel shaft, don't know if they ever came with aluminum from factory)
Best to stick with gm slave/master cylinders or have people had good luck with aftermarket?

Sorry for all the questions, I will likely do it at work so I don't want to tie up a lift any longer than necessary.

Just saw this. I'll try to answer what I know or at least think I know :)

Get a southbend. Not sure on Kenny's but I've not really been impressed with my valair, other than the fact I've never slipped it at power.

I'm pretty sure the bell housing bolts are the exact same.

The transfer case has studs from the factory so yea the nuts can be reused.

My truck has a parts store master, and clutch kit came with a slave cyl. (Which I believe to be gm piece)

Don't have any answer for the driveshaft. If they are the same length I would run it until I recooped some funds then get a steel.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Zf trucks all have 1480 u joints so there might be a small hiccup there no biggy though and I thing the tranny cross members are the same allison to zf

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I've read that the shafts are the same length, just wasn't sure if anyone had long term experience with the aluminum taking the zf shock loads.
Glad to hear bolts can be reused.
Is your valair just grabby?

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Doesn't bother me. Most of my trucks have been manuals. I loved rowing gears in my lb7. Even with the shit clutch. Plus my k5 will be an auto so if I feel lazy I can jump in it

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Love rowing gears and if you ride in a manual with someone that knows what there doing it can offer a very smooth automatic like ride. I just like the simplicity of a manual. I don't think aluminum would be a problem but steel is stronger

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Not sure how the tcase mounts to the zf but I'd imagine the studs that are in the tcase would be fine for the zf personally I'd build the allison but I hate having to shift all the time

T case has studs that go through holes on the tail housing of the zf and the nuts go on the front side toward the tranny.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Bumping this back up, I am having a hell of a time finding a zf to swap in. Don't really want to pay $3000+ for a reman one plus core and shipping. By the time I do that, buy a strong clutch and all other ancillary parts for the swap I could likely have a built Allison cheaper. Guess I should have jumped on the $1200 junkyard zf I found last spring. Live and learn.

As a backup, does anyone know of a reputable Allison builder in the Ocala Florida area? I have asked around but I haven't found anyone as experienced as I'd like.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Who knows maybe Andrew has or know someone with a zf too

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Yeah I know suncoast is probably the best option location and quality wise. I just don't want my truck down long since it's my only vehicle. I will call or p.m. them just to get an idea of turnaround time.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Well I talked with suncoast and had pretty much decided on going with one of their Allison's. Then got an email from a junkyard I'd talked to a while back. He found me a 54k mile 4x4 zf6 for a price I couldn't refuse. And it included shipping it to my door. So, on to deciding clutches....

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Anyone know where I need to cut out for the shifter? Going with o.e. insulator, boot, and shifter so I want it to be a factory sized hole. Looks to me I should cut the whole raised area out?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423430288010.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423430288010.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 66

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Every cab has that template so I would assume you cut that whole section out. That looks to be the same location of my shifter but I haven't pulled the carpet up to verify.