Allison 6sp: Leaking trans fluid from bell housing

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
Just installed a built trans from a well known shop and it's leaking fluid from the bell housing. Anyone had any problems with suncoast converters leaking. Or have I damaged the seal?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Have it inspected through the square hole in the driver side of the bell housing. Might be a seal or o ring or a pin hole in the weld where the 2 halfs of the converter are welded. A pin hole in the weld will spray and you will see wetness on the side of the converter. A seal or o ring will leave a trail coming down from the pump.

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
Alrite I'll check it out this afternoon. Either way it's going to have to come back out. Can I pull it back out without draining the fluid?

cat_dr.

Feb 20, 2013
Jackson,Al
I was wondering the same thing because when I was searching for info yesterday I didn't find anything on it being a common problem. But both Mike and my builder both said it was possibly the converter leaking before I pulled the trans which tells me this isn't the first time it's happened

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
It's happened to every converter company on earth. ( including brand new OEM's ) Slight adjustment on the welding machine will fix it.
Converters are usually tested at 80 psi because that's all the pressure tester can handle. An imperfect weld sometimes won't leak till the pressure gets to 120-150 psi.
It doesn't happen very often.