Leak from shaft seal?

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
So, I crawled under the rig and noticed my driveline box is leaking fluid (it's not spewing). I'm assuming it's a seal that cracked out. Anyone else do this job or is it worth taking to someone to get it done. I'm in between homes, so I have no place to work on it per se until sometime in late August. Would it hurt to let her leak some until I can get to it? Input appreciated gents.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
off the transfer case? pretty easy replacement if so. pull the shaft pry the seal and put a new one in. Sometimes the slip yoke itself will leak through the freeze plug

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
off the transfer case? pretty easy replacement if so. pull the shaft pry the seal and put a new one in. Sometimes the slip yoke itself will leak through the freeze plug
Yes, it's off the transfer case. Can I run it for a while with a leak? I don't have my tools and won't until the end of Aug...looks like there are snap rings, etc I'll have to pull in order to separate the shaft from the output.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
Just keep an eye on it, easy to add some fluid if a top off is needed.

You undue the u joint straps at the rear of the shaft and the slip yoke off the transfer case will pull right out. No need or anything more than an open end wrench , rubber mallet and a decent pry piece. With a long bed you might have a 2 piece shaft so you'll need.to drop the carrier as well in that case.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Just keep an eye on it, easy to add some fluid if a top off is needed.

You undue the u joint straps at the rear of the shaft and the slip yoke off the transfer case will pull right out. No need or anything more than an open end wrench , rubber mallet and a decent pry piece. With a long bed you might have a 2 piece shaft so you'll need.to drop the carrier as well in that case.
Cool, I have the short bed, but thanks for the info. What are you running for transfer case fluid?