LBZ mileage tune

aduhaime2003

Apr 29, 2011
I would just have it set to open during low boost and then modulate to control drive pressure as the boost is called for in the ecu.

Or take it one step further. Reference the boost table and under certain circumstances when I would need no boost like cruising around town also open a large recirc. valve short circuiting the intake before the turbo to the up pipe before the y bridge. I actually have a synaptic valve laying in the garage. I already have an on board compressor so control could be via a solenoid or I/P.

aduhaime2003

Apr 29, 2011
Weel on my return trip from detroit to allentown I was only able to muster a best of 11.25mpg with 12000 fifth wheel at 60mph. This was with some slowing and a lot of dowshifting to keep the egts from rising above 1200. I would let them get to 1250 and drop down a gear. I think that is was an improvement over the edge tuner but I would not allow others to run my setup for fear that they would let the egts run rampant. I think thaat overall I saw a 1.5 mpg improvement while towing but like I said with some limitations. I imagine tuning the allison shift points could handle the necessary downshifting needs.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I'm not worried about 1200* GM recommended 1350* sustained IIRC. If you logged Throttle % you would then be able to change the down shift points around that. To keep EGTs down without playing with manual mode.

I have tried lower boost and my mileage went down.

My truck is still a dog over 9K' so I wouldn't worry about B1128. I need to play with the high altitude stuff, but its hard living at sea level.

I tied changing a lot of different tables to see there affect and improve the way my truck drove. To my standards.

aduhaime2003

Apr 29, 2011
I wish I had a chance to log while i was driving home. Once black box support is done I will be able to get some altitude runs here in PA. I think that would help out a bit. If i do get some logs I will post them. I was driving at 2 am and didnt want to be fiddling with the laptop while driving winding hills next to semi trucks...lol. I will hopefully be running the rv up to the property upstate PA. There are a good amount of hills in that run and I should have a passenger to play with the logger.

As for the 1200, I did used to run it up to 1300 before downshifting but started to worry after reading that 1200 was a sustained towing temp. I was also worried becaus eI am reading the passenger side cyl bank. I did not upgrade the driver side manifold so I was unsure about slightly higher temps over there due to the more restrictive design.

mpeters0991

Aug 17, 2010
Southeast Iowa
I just ran this tune for my last tank and got 17.8 running between 60-70 mph. 95% of the driving was done on the highway. I have 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer s/t tires.

Anything I can do to get the mileage up a bit more without switching tires? Have you made any changes to this tune since you shared it with us? I like it overall.

Last edited:

Samdogmx

Needs a built tranny
Jun 7, 2009
Alton IL
Ive been running this tune for a while now Ive run about 3 tanks of fuel on it & I'm getting 18-19. I too have 285/70/17s

snowman7200

Oct 20, 2011
virginia
I just put this tune on my 06 LBZ cclb, with 225/70/19.5 heavy wheels/tires, and ran it to work and back. So far it looks like +1-3mpg over my 100hp tune that I usually run. Seeing 19avg right now running at 60.

I'll run the rest of this tank out, and hand calc when I fill up, but it looks good so far.

It does sound noticeably different from my other tunes, probably because it doesn't ever build boost unless you get after it fairly hard. Hearing a non turbo Lbz, sounds kinda like a powerstroke. lol.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Glad ya'll like it. Other then bumping up the power I haven't changed this tune much. I have heavy H2s and 285s now and can get 21.5 at 60. Ya'll can see what my mileage averages in my sig, but I don't get on it a lot maybe a few times a week.

snowman7200

Oct 20, 2011
virginia
So, just thought I would post a little update on this. I've been running this tune for a few months now, and have been averaging 17 or so, with pretty mixed highway/city. I took a trip a few weeks ago, and got around 21 with the cruise set at 60 for the majority of it.

I tried to load this on the first slot of my dsp5 switch, but I'm pretty sure it screwed up my other tunes(I have copies!) because this tune doesn't smoke. My hot tune, would smoke pretty good when you got after it hard, but after I messed with all this, that tune doesn't smoke. They sound different, I can hear the engine tone change when I switch tunes, but the hot tune doesn't run like it did.

Anyway, no smoke. Until 2 days ago, I got after it pretty hard( I had just hacked up my exhaust into a side exit in front of the rear tire so my shackle flip would fit) and it smoked quite a bit. Not an excessive amount like my hot tune would, and I didn't notice any lost power, but I sure did notice the smoke. Not sure what the deal is, but figured I would post an update.

Extinct

Aug 30, 2013
OK, so I found this thread and was interested in the tune. I scripted it to my OS and loaded in my stock LBZ but had some porblems. There seemed to be some hesitation at light throttle openings and low rpms - did anyone else experience this? Could something have gone wrong with the scripting process?

Extinct

Aug 30, 2013
Yep I mixed some my tunes at some point and ended up with the EGR not being fully shut off on them. I guess this one got screw up too. Didn't find out until it cooled down here and the EGR came on in my truck. Sorry

Run this script to turn it off all the way.

OK, reading through the thread again, looks like this might be the problem - did this modification never get updated in to the tune posted?