LBZ loose/unresponsive steering after alignment!

DIESEL1

Dec 18, 2011
Not sure I'll be home in about 30mins and I'll take some pics and post here! Thanks to everyone who has commented! Any ideas and comments are greatly appreciated!:thumb:

Look from the front up at the centerlink... if it is sloping one way or the other the parts store sold you 2 different application parts.

The pitman arm and idler have to match. It is not to far fetched for the parts store to sell you a 2wd idler and a (3 groove) 4wd pitman.

Sounds exactly like a truck we recently got in that customer stated same issues

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
My last alignment last week after my boosted launch havoc was
Camber: L -.3. R-.2
Caster : L -2.9. R-3.3
Toe : L .08. R.06

My right hand pull is intermittently more severe but always present. My front end is tight as hell while stationary, so I'm guessing I've got something wonky out back. You may as well

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
This is a picture of the first time they aligned it and it still pulled right.

I didn't look at the numbers posted yet, just this printout you uploaded. Your camber is causing a pull to the driver's side and your caster is causing a pull to the driver's side as well.

So if your truck is pulling right, then something else is going on. Did you try different sections of road to test it out? With leveled trucks with this little caster, they follow road crown like a bitch. Worse when towing.

If you find it goes with the crown too easily, then you could replace your upper ball joints with adjustable ones and add caster back in. I did that and it helped a bunch.

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Sorry for taking so long to reply. Pitman arms seems to be fairly straight when the tires are straight. I have an appointment for them to look at it Monday. I'll update Monday night! Thanks guys!

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I didn't look at the numbers posted yet, just this printout you uploaded. Your camber is causing a pull to the driver's side and your caster is causing a pull to the driver's side as well.

So if your truck is pulling right, then something else is going on. Did you try different sections of road to test it out? With leveled trucks with this little caster, they follow road crown like a bitch. Worse when towing.

If you find it goes with the crown too easily, then you could replace your upper ball joints with adjustable ones and add caster back in. I did that and it helped a bunch.

Yes they will, mine pulls to the right on some roads, is perfect on others and pulls to the left on some. I'm lowering mine back down and going to 33's when I need tires, which will be soon. Then, I'll hopefully have the house squared away and I'll lift it and go back to 35's.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Yes they will, mine pulls to the right on some roads, is perfect on others and pulls to the left on some. I'm lowering mine back down and going to 33's when I need tires, which will be soon. Then, I'll hopefully have the house squared away and I'll lift it and go back to 35's.

Watch the crown of the road, bet it's high when it pulls right and flat or you are on the opposite side of the crown when it pulls left.

There is no perfect alignment for all road crowns. Bigger tires and leveling also make it worse (bigger tires need more caster to stay straight)

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Haha, to the tee. I hate it.

Yup. I always (well use to when I worked at a shop) would ask the customer if they were highway drivers or city. Flagstaff had high crowns in town for snow/rain but our highways are relatively flat so I'd adjust caster according to where they mainly drove. Told them that they may feel a pull when running the opposite of what I set it for. Most didn't care but a few would bitch. Those ones I would put as close to max factory caster as I could to keep it straight in most cases.

Just FYI, in my tracker, I'll have 10-12* of caster in it. That's just a 33" tire too BUT when you have 14" of suspension swing and are running on the dirt, you want the tires to not track ruts and keep rocks from pulling the steering even when you have less than .25" of bump steer through out the suspension cycle. You can see why 2-3* of caster in these trucks with bigger tires isn't going to help things. I run 4* in mine (max I can get from the arms) and I want way more

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
My truck was phenomenal at 6degrees but I couldn't get the camber to come in and had to give up some. But I drove it home from the rack and loved it.