LBZ/LMM Tick

DuramaxTireSmoker

Jun 8, 2010
SW Florida
My brother's LBZ and my Dad's LMM have the "typewriter tick." What is the best solution to get rid of it? They both run Rotella 15w40 and I noticed it on my Dad's the minute I changed the oil.. is the Oil what really causes the tick or what is it?

skintback

Take this one to church
Mar 5, 2007
Florida
what filter do you use? I've read that napa/wix can contribute to this not sure on the oil

sure it's not the heat shields on the manifolds

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
what filter do you use? I've read that napa/wix can contribute to this not sure on the oil

sure it's not the heat shields on the manifolds

Interesting. I run 15w/40 on my built motor and my other Duramax's with Napa filters, never noticed the typewriter sound but maybe there is one.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I am currently running a syn 15w40 with a Wix filter. Mine has the typewriter tick, has since new. I've used synthetic and conventional oil (always 15w40), and AC Delco, Amsoil, and Wix filters.

blackdirtymax

Apr 15, 2010
augusta, ga
What causes the tick? Valve train?

I was told it was little
Small air pockets in the oil , that gets between the bearing and crank surface and the it makes that noise . But again I was just listening when I was told that

---
- Built motor , duel fuelers , 60's overs , gtx4202r

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
It doesn't seem to be anything to worry about. At one time my truck did it, but for the time being it has stopped.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Any luck getting it quiet with 2 stroke oil or a fuel additive in your fuel? I put the 2 stroke oil in mine seems to smooth it up and lift pump seems to like extra lube either type seems to help it get smoother a bit. Maybe it's conjecture but I guess that's what it sounds like running a tow tune EFI. Just enough extra power if that matters.

08txlmm

Mar 28, 2010
Lubbock
Mine has had the tick as long as I've owned it. The only filter/oil combo I have tried is Delo 400 and a wix filter.
Never tried the 2 stoke oil but other diesel additives I've tried haven't done anything for the tick

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
new oil makes it tick more, once the oil breaks in then it fades a little. mine was always very noticeable with rotella t 15-40 which was all i ran in my motors