LBZ/LMM Path to power

jasonsram

Feb 16, 2013
So ive been trying charting the potential path to power for the lbz. this is with the 06/07 lbz in mind, before and after engines might have slightly different paths. lmm's are basicly the same path but you gotta start with deletes and then go from there. i just wanted to plan out in writing the path to power with the duramaxs, and note where the stumbling blocks are, and the steps to overcome them for more power. i might put a link in my sig in case it might help out a newbie like myself now, or later on. please feel free to add any inputs, i'd like to this to be a nice quick reference and something useful we could send the next noob who asks, "How do i make more power?" or "How do i get to 500/600/700hp?" etc etc. Please help with your input, as im just a noob myself. thanks..

Stock LBZ 360 hp

Step 1 90hp tune.. this is all a bone stock allison can reliably take day2day
(450hp 14 flat, 92mph in the quarter on a 4x4 2500)

Step 2 Trans Build (build with your goals in mind, but assuming you now adjust your tune youre good till about 500hp, wherein you'll need a lift pump (which duramaxes dont have as the fuel pump from the tank sends the fuel all the way to the injectors)(500hp on just a tune and a trans, 13.0 100mph quarter 4x4 2500)

Step 3.. Intake. LBZ stock intakes flow to 500hp or so, but since its such an relatively mod many people do this well before steps 1 or 2, but since it is not a limiting factor till the trans is done, it comes after on this list. (550 hp till you have no more fuel left, see step 5)(now you have 550hp, 12.8 104mph)

Step 4.. 4"BRBP adds hp but more importantly drops egt's by 200 degrees. Exhaust can easily be substitued for any one of the steps above, but it is not a limiting factor and thus didnt come earlier in this guide to power.

Step 5 Lift Pump.. airdog. next thing your gonna need is more fuel. a single lift pump and youre good until your next bottleneck. (Youre now set for fuel until you blow your truck up, 550-600 hp is the point where we're gonna call the duramax 06 and up rods reliable) (600hp, 12.0 110mph)

Step 6 Engine build. The skies the limit from here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

so i might hog the next post for references or updates. all quarter mile times are estimates. i need to do some research and get some opinions to hone this down. please feel free to add anything. basicly its my blueprints for my upcoming purchase this spring, but i wanted to document my dream build to see if i can help anyone else. there is alot of this talked about in dozens of other threads but i have never found a single thread talking about each bottleneck of the duramax lbz, and the results of uncorking each bottleneck. let me know what you thing, and please please add your .02

jasonsram

Feb 16, 2013
so what do you guys think of my path to power? is that how you would do it, do i have the horsepower and et's estimated right on each bottleneck that gets upgraded?

4bynut

Feb 22, 2013
Morrison, IL
How much power can the allison trans honestly handle with just the transgo jr upgrade? I have seen several people claiming to just do that and be able to upgrade turbo and do all the normal power mods like listed above. I'm getting ready to start modifying my 07 and don't want to get carried away.

Thanks
Jason

2005LLY

Sep 18, 2011
Depends how you drive, I've seen max effort tunes last on a stock 6 speed for a year

jasonsram

Feb 16, 2013
It looks like you're doing "ricer math". Real world rwhp estimates will vary. I know there were power recipes on here for LB7's and LLY's... I never looked for LBZ's.

pretty much. i had to pick one standard, so when starting from stock specs, i chose to keep the whole thing in "crank" hp. the et's were all assuming 4x4 2500, idle boosted launch, stock tires. again just estimating but that's the controls i was estimating from. 2wd im not sure how much faster they would be. maybe .3 tenths and 2mph? i would have loved to do the whole thing in 2wd (cause thats what im looking for) but i figured 9 out of 10 duramaxes are 4wd so why work against the grain.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Stock LBZ RWHP 320HP
stock trans safe hp 410-420 ET 14.00 ?
front end upgrade pitman and idle arm braces and tierod sleeves
build trans and add lift pump 480-520 RWHP ET 13.20-12.80
Aftermarket turbo 600-650 ET 12.20-11.90
This is kind of the path my truck has taken. Never been on a dyno but track times are in line.

adrenaholc1

Apr 5, 2011
Butler Co. OHIO
Too many variables to state how long the trans will last at x amount of power. Stock Allison will outlast 1000hp dmax if the turbo/s are only spooled lightly and it never sees wot. I'm only referring to six speeds of course. However I believe the stock converter could handle around 1000 4wd boost launches up to 100mph if your under 400rwhp. Of course tuning is going to be the most critical variable to the life of the powertrain next to your right foot. :baby:

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
pretty much. i had to pick one standard, so when starting from stock specs, i chose to keep the whole thing in "crank" hp. the et's were all assuming 4x4 2500, idle boosted launch, stock tires. again just estimating but that's the controls i was estimating from. 2wd im not sure how much faster they would be. maybe .3 tenths and 2mph? i would have loved to do the whole thing in 2wd (cause thats what im looking for) but i figured 9 out of 10 duramaxes are 4wd so why work against the grain.

I understand the logic behind it. I give you credit for trying to educate yourself instead of jumping in blind.

While a 2wd will be a little lighter you have to leave softer to keep them hooked up. That's assuming a similar boosted launch leaving in 4wd.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
2wd will be slower in diesels. Our trucks have so much low-end TQ that any 2wd that tries to leave at the same rpm a 4wd leaves at will just blow the tires off. IIRC, the fastest 2wd Ive heard of (BMDMAX) was running flat-out and still cutting 1.8x 60-fts. Shoot...my slow-ass stocker 4x4 (remember?) cut 1.6x's consistantly

What Kennedy said about using 2 tunes at the track (one soft for launch, switch to all out for top end) has a lot of merit, esp in a 2wd application.

PWI on my computer.

Last edited:

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
2wd will be slower in diesels. Our trucks have so much low-end TQ that any 2wd that tries to leave at the same rpm a 4wd leaves at will just blow the tires off. IIRC, the fastest 2wd Ive heard of (BMDMAX) was running flat-out and still cutting 1.8x 60-fts. Shoot...my slow-ass stocker 4x4 (remember?) cut 1.6x's consistantly

What Kennedy said about using 2 tunes at the track (one soft for launch, switch to all out for top end) has a lot of merit, esp in a 2wd application.

PWI on my computer.

I agree to a certain point. A 2wd set up right can leave just as hard as a 4wd with a lot less weight and drag going down the track. I think power levels have a lot to do with it.