Lbz into 02 zf6

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
I sold my lmm recently and still have a built long block.
I'm having trouble selling it, so I've been thinking about using it.

Found an 02 zf6 with no engine. Using a harness from Ben would like to use my lbz block, heads, vvt, ect.

I realize wiring and cooling stack will be an issue. My question is the flywheel. My lbz was balanced with a factory one from an auto truck. Do I need to order a flywheel for an 06 lly/zf truck? Or will the lb7 one be fine?

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
I don't know compared to an auto, but lb7 lly and the same balance and lbz is different.

I knew that, I guess I answered my own question. Flywheel for an 06 lly with a zf6 should balance the same as a factory flexplate for the allison.

It will have its challenges, but it should be a fun truck and the price is right. I'm hoping to do some pulling and maybe a track day or 2 if all goes well.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I knew that, I guess I answered my own question. Flywheel for an 06 lly with a zf6 should balance the same as a factory flexplate for the allison.

It will have its challenges, but it should be a fun truck and the price is right. I'm hoping to do some pulling and maybe a track day or 2 if all goes well.

I would guess so, I'm on board for anything with a manual trans. Actually fun to drive:thumb:

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
I pick the truck up today. Plan for it is to have the absolute most fun you can have in one of these trucks. I plan on pulling, racing, towing, and just being hard on the truck in general.

Thinking of doing a twin setup for the wide power band and easier to drive/tow with.

You guys have an opinion on what turbo setup would drive the best being a manual?

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Resized952016112695111118.jpg

Beater with a heater, dont think I need to worry about keeping the exterior nice.

Attachments

• Resized952016112695111118.jpg
    Resized952016112695111118.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 124

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Hit me up if you need any help.. I've been down this exact road before minus built engine

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
S475 over stock has treated me well in the past.

I have the stock lbz turbo already and plan on making my own piping. I don't think there is a better option.

Lots of usable power for not a lot of dough.

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Thought I would give an update on this, since I have ran into issues with the VATS.

Truck cranks with no sound of firing or exhaust smell. Log I took shows fuel being limited by VTD fuel enable. I was told it wouldn't work without an LBZ BCM and that's correct from what I can tell. VATS is disabled and I am using an 06 LLY/ZF6 calibration.

I don't have the correct BCM currently, and I haven't gotten a reply from Ben whether he makes the LB7 to LBZ harness's anymore.

I can email the log if anyone would like to verify for me that it is the ecm pulling fuel.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Thought I would give an update on this, since I have ran into issues with the VATS.

Truck cranks with no sound of firing or exhaust smell. Log I took shows fuel being limited by VTD fuel enable. I was told it wouldn't work without an LBZ BCM and that's correct from what I can tell. VATS is disabled and I am using an 06 LLY/ZF6 calibration.

I don't have the correct BCM currently, and I haven't gotten a reply from Ben whether he makes the LB7 to LBZ harness's anymore.

I can email the log if anyone would like to verify for me that it is the ecm pulling fuel.

I got an LLY to LBZ adapter harness from him not long ago. I would think he could make you whatever you need.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
Russ at NorCal can make the harness for you, however the tuning from my understanding was limited to only one tune he spent copious amounts of time getting right for the 02 and lb7 ecm.

I've been talking to him these past few weeks about my 02 zf6. The lack of tuning and concerns of reliability on the swap to a LLY/LBZ has swayed me away from the idea.

bigmackmiller

Nov 30, 2008
Kokomo, IN
I inquired with Ben last year when my injectors were taking a crap, he was still making them but said he was back logged, I ended up just putting in injectors instead and have been happy but would have loved to go the LBZ swap route

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
We can do the direct swap LLY/LBZ harness as well, but have not done one on a ZF truck yet.

I didn't know you offered that.

I have not had time to work on my swap or gather some of the other needed parts for it.

I am starting to think I should go through everything now...

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
Well it runs, turns out I was going in circles with the data lines. I had to remove the twisted pair for the gpcm to get things talking. Starting with a manual harness would have been much easier.

Now to get my oil cooler sealed up, and a tune to get the engine broken in before I start on the body work. This is starting to look like a 3 year project :roflmao: