LBZ electric fans ?

Kentucky DuraMax

Gearhead
Dec 30, 2012
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone out there is running the flex lite dual electric fan on their LBZ. I know they only make them for 01-05. Why wouldn't it work on the LBZ? I have seen these ran on some pretty badass LB7's that are multi-purpose and seem to do fine. Any info or insight would be appreciated.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I personally have never liked electric fans for anything but a dedicated drag racer or in a swap situation where you are left with no other choice.
Because I plan on running twins I will probably run electric fans on a large remote oil cooler.
Electric fans are defiantly useful and have their place but diesels are low RPM high torque engines so the parasitic HP loss to the mechanical fan, other than an all-out competition doesn't merit the change.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I personally have never liked electric fans for anything but a dedicated drag racer or in a swap situation where you are left with no other choice.
Because I plan on running twins I will probably run electric fans on a large remote oil cooler.
Electric fans are defiantly useful and have their place but diesels are low RPM high torque engines so the parasitic HP loss to the mechanical fan, other than an all-out competition doesn't merit the change.

Why is that there isn't a down side to elec. fans unless your towing heavy in hot weather? The fan isn't a huge draw on power unless its locked, but when its gone its noticeable.

Elec. are great for keeping the AC cooler in traffic/idling in hot weather. Better mileage, no "morning sickness" and more power/acceleration.

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
I'm planning on doing the Taurus fans when my LBZ goes back in.. They move almost as much air as the stock fan..

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Why is that there isn't a down side to elec. fans unless your towing heavy in hot weather? The fan isn't a huge draw on power unless its locked, but when its gone its noticeable.

Elec. are great for keeping the AC cooler in traffic/idling in hot weather. Better mileage, no "morning sickness" and more power/acceleration.

I guess I just follow the kiss philosophy and I do tow this.

Attachments

• 1404059164268.jpg
    1404059164268.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 142

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Whats the biggest size dual fans can I run on the radiator? And what about on the front side of the intercooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
I personally went with FF Dynamics rated at about 6000 CFM . I got the ones with the Shrouds. Super clean looking install and for about the same money as the Flex lite setup . Check em out I think you will like em .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 197

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I've been running flex a lite fans for the last 3 or 4 years with zero problems. I don't tow heavy by any means so I don't have much input there. As far as any kind of normal use of the truck, they go unnoticed. I have mine on a switch too so I can flip them on setting in traffic or if I have been out beating on it to help cool trans temps faster. All you have to modify is the top mount. And the tcm bracket doesn't fit right. Really don't know why they never came out with a kit for LBZ or LMM. Not a lot has to be changed

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
I modded my top bracket and the TCM bracket, I didn't want to drill into my fuse block so I bolted the supplied tcm bracket on and marked it so it would clear the heater hose (van hose/thermostat housing) and cut it down and drilled another hole using the hole I drilled and the stock hole to mount the TCM in two of its three holes.

jgallagher450

Oct 3, 2014
Graham, Wa
I may be a little late here but I have the 284 Flexalite fan setup on my truck, have had it for a while and i got a bracket kit for the 01-05 and the side mounts worked fine. i took the long piece that bolts on top and just flipped it over and bolted it to the old fan shroud hole and it works fine. Ive towed 8-10k in 100 degree weather on 35s and the hottest i got was 213 degrees

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
What all has to change to mount the 05 flex a lites to the lbz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can get you some pics but pretty self explanatory..everything fits the same except the top mounting bracket which I just marked and drilled 4 new holes and a few holes in the top of my radiator, and I cut the top on the tcm bracket off and mounted my tcm a little lower on it..not bad at all