LBZ EGR Blocker plate issues

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Okay, so I have searched and searched for the past 2 days and can not find anything on my issue. I installed a EGR Blocker plate on my LBZ and had the EGR Turned off via EFI LIVE. Ever since i get this weird screeching noise coming from my exhaust under heavy acceleration. almost sounds like tires spinning but its definitely not. I have seen some post saying maybe the egr blocker plate is leaking but i have pulled it apart twice now and felt for leaks and its not leaking. Also the sound is not coming from the engine bay but from the back of the truck where my exhaust exits. You cant hear it at full throttle as much as your can 75 % throttle but that may be because the engine is much louder at full throttle. I unplugged my egr about 2 week ago befor my blocker plate was ever installed just fiddling with some stuff and it made the same noise. so i plugged the EGR back in thinking i was blowing the valve open under boost. After plugging the EGR back in the noise seemed to go away and now with the blocker plate from XDP its still making the noise? Ill see if i can get a good video and get it posted. Thanks in advance!

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Look at the passenger side up pipe. Most likely the up pipe is broken there. Sound your hearing is actually an exhaust leak.

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Your exhaust is leaking at the block off plate or the bellow on the egr riser split, like mentioned earlier.

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Okay update, Plate is not leaking from what i can tell. I feel no air coming from around the plate and see no black residue anywhere i have looked at the up pipe and cant see any cracks or see any residue where it looks like it is leaking? I put it in 4x4 and break boosted it as high as i could before it started pushing through the breaks but i was by my self and didn't have anyone else to listen under the hood so im not sure. Ill get someone else to help me listen tomorrow and report back. In the meantime any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
got someone to break boost it while i looked under the hood. Heard nothing weird and saw no smoke anywhere like a cracked up pipe or anything. only hear it when im moving and get in it! Did notice i had a busted motor mount though so thats always a win! :roflmao:

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
You sure that's just not the exhaust? Lly and up tend to have a weird screeching noise when you floor it. Sounds like 2 owls screeching during sex and similar to your video.

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
its actually alot less noticable when i floor it. I have had the truck for about 8 months not and been straight piped for 7 of those months. I have noticed it a few times randomly before i ever touched anything with my EGR but it wasnt all the time. Now that the EGR Blocker plate is in its constant. sounds quite embarrassing to be honest!

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
Change out the downpipe and see if it changes, otherwise I would keep looking for boost or drive pressure leaks.

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Just a update, still haven't found a fix for the noise but I have noticed it only makes the noise when the egr isn't commanding position. Example with the egr plugged in but still blocked off, I can watch in my scanner and it commands position it doesn't make the noise. When the egr position is at 0 or its unplugged it makes the noise? Any ideas?