LBZ air filter issue

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
I went to buy an air filter from the parts store today, bought it and tried to put it in, but the filter had a rubber "band" part around the end that goes closest to the MAF sensor, and wouldn't fit like the old air filter (pretty sure the old one is at least 6-8 years old)

I googled the part number and it came up matching with the duramax. Does this seem correct?
ea60be86699cfa679e778b6658df1a91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
The OEM Blue Donaldson has a rubber ring seal that fits into the LBZ airbox, the replacement has plastic an adapter to take care of this fitment issue.

See the link below for what the OEM blue filter seal looked like. Donaldson owned the seal patent which did not allow GM/ACDelco to make replacement filters so an adapter has to used....

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68082&highlight=donaldson

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
The OEM Blue Donaldson has a rubber ring seal that fits into the LBZ airbox, the replacement has plastic an adapter to take care of this fitment issue.

See the link below for what the OEM blue filter seal looked like. Donaldson owned the seal patent which did not allow GM/ACDelco to make replacement filters so an adapter has to used....

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68082&highlight=donaldson

So does that mean o have to buy some sort of adapter? I see what the pic shows with the white filter having a rubber seal around it that makes it not push into the airbox itself like the old filter.

I'm
Still confused as to what my next step is, return it?

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Look real close at the CAI and the filter, difficult to explain. Is the filter you removed one of the blue types in the link I posted.?

The filter I removed is a white one, I don't see Donaldson on it. But it has a plastic ring that's removable that I suppose allows it to fit into the airbox and stay secure.

The filter I just bought has the Donaldson tag on it with the rubber seal protruding from it

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
The filter I removed is a white one, I don't see Donaldson on it. But it has a plastic ring that's removable that I suppose allows it to fit into the airbox and stay secure.

The filter I just bought has the Donaldson tag on it with the rubber seal protruding from it

Donaldson, ACDelco and a few other's have different sealing applications. I have an old Vatozone in my garage that has a separate ring to adapt the filter into the CAI....

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Donaldson, ACDelco and a few other's have different sealing applications. I have an old Vatozone in my garage that has a separate ring to adapt the filter....

I'm guessing the easiest thing for me to do is to go in the parts store with my old filter as well.

I'm still unsure why the Donaldson won't fit though or at least how it's supposed to fit with that rubber seal

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Double check that there is no an additional ring still stuck in the CAI...

I'm going to swing by the parts store and take a better look. Are there any part numbers for the wix or AC delco variant? When I asked for the wix, they simply had the "purilator" which Is what I got
2eb6ef2c80adecb8cff782ed279f7a6d.jpg

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
That looks like Donaldson's (it is their filter) original patented ring seal, they did the original design and still use for many other applications so no adapter needed. Be sure there is no adapter stuck in the housing as I have read about before.......

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
That looks like Donaldson's (it is their filter) original patented ring seal, they did the original design and still use for many other applications so no adapter needed. Be sure there is no adapter stuck in the housing as I have read about before.......

I stopped at the parts store and tried to put it in, it was such a harder filter to install with that seal. Almost like it isn't completely flush against it. But I THINK it's in good enough

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Take a flashlight and look into the bottom of the CAI housing, you will see a "stop" that the filter has to clear that keeps it from coming out to be completely seated...

I remove mine on occasion to bump some of the dirt out and use this for removal, just a thick gauge piece of aluminum bent to fit.
=
=
=
=
qsrqz6.jpg

=
=
=

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Take a flashlight and look into the bottom of the CAI housing, you will see a "stop" that the filter has to clear that keeps it from coming out to be completely seated...

I remove mine on occasion to bump some of the dirt out and use this for removal, just a thick gauge piece of aluminum bent to fit.
=
=
=
=
qsrqz6.jpg

=
=
=

Okay I will check that out when I get a chance

The filter itself seemed to set in the air filter housing okay. It was a tighter fit compared to the plastic seal that was on the old filter. I will upload a pic of my old filter

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
You can purchase the Donaldson filter (P610875) at ryderfleetproducts for $26.00 plus shipping and throw in an Allison/Donaldson 1000/2000 series filter (P550606) to make the shipping worth while....

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
You can purchase the Donaldson filter (P610875) at ryderfleetproducts for $26.00 plus shipping and throw in an Allison/Donaldson 1000/2000 series filter (P550606) to make the shipping worth while....

Yeah that is crazy, I saw that its that cheap.....I paid 58 dollars at the part store for mine