Lb7 vs lbz mild built trucks

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I know y’all probably get annoyed with me. Feel like I’m the little brother in here sometimes. Just a kid trying to find my way and I have a passion for these trucks and want a few of talks opinion. I’ve been talking with a very good and trusted friend of mine on this matter. That being said some of y’all remember my Lb7. Very mild build. 30 over injectors. Lbz supersoort pump. Built trans and heads were decked 10 thousandths. My new truck is an 06 lly with a 100horse tune.

That being said, my lb7 even on a 30 horse tune was much more violent and fun than this truck. I know a built trans plays a part on this, but that’s still a large power gap. My goal is to have a fun street truck that’s gonna make me smile. I don’t want tame. I want scary. And the lb7 (tuned by tony) was just that. Biggest tune was a 150 and it was violent. Lbz seems more tame and from what I’ve read many people say this. Issue is, my job now may require me to be towing 10k+ very short distances from time to time. And I know a big twinned lb7 would struggle were a vgt twinned lbz would be fine.

I guess I’m looking for some opinions and insight from a bunch of people. Injectors don’t scare me. I’ve done them enough. Parts are cheaper for an lb7 and I like the body style on the 01-02 much more than the cat eye. So, if in my shoes, what route would you go?

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
All run similar once built, but I don't see why an lbz tuned correctly wouldn't be fun to drive on the street.

Mine isn't built, or scary, but the big tune is pretty useless around town in 2wd. Unless tire smoke is what you're after.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’ve honestly never felt what you are feeling. I think you have underlying issues that need looking into

Weak trans or fuel system is going to make the truck feel weak.

In any case, either will do what you want and well. I tend to favor the lb7 just for the fact the pistons will take the abuse better and good tuning can make it live with twins. Plus 01-02 look the best

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I’ve honestly never felt what you are feeling. I think you have underlying issues that need looking into

In any case, either will do what you want and well. I tend to favor the lb7 just for the fact the pistons will take the abuse better and good tuning can make it live with twins. Plus 01-02 look the best

Lies how long did your truck last with twins :hug:

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
I say lbz all the way , and lbz and tame cant be used in the same sentence, driving a 600+ hp lbz everyday puts a smile on my face good tunes with a big single charger or twin set up with supporting mods would be reliable and fun to tow with aswell.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I can tell you mainly what you felt was the injectors making that difference being 30 overs. Each truck will feel different but I would say in stock format and if you tow a lot the LML is better. That’s based on various improvements they made in steering, braking and frame. I’ve owned or tuned pretty much all of them. For a more refined truck take the lbz. The six speed and Vgt in compounds would make for a more pleasurable experience overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
LLYs are freaks from nature for making big power with stock bottom end but also have many small issues compared to the others. Once building it then go lbz. No ficm or cups is awesome. Plus injectors last.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I think the LBZ is smoother than a LB7 and that might be what you’re feeling.

VGT also comes on more "linear" per say, don't have to dig into the pedal as much to get the truck to come up on boost. Not saying a LB7 requires lots of pedal movement to come up on boost but the VGT is just smoother IMO.

^^^^^THIS!!! Is your truck holding rail? How many miles are on it? The 5spd can be a finicky woman, sometimes they take a tune very well and other times they just lay over and die. He also is right you know, 01-02 do look the best :beer

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Thanks guys for all the input. I don’t know a ton about the truck I have now. I know my trans isn’t the greatest and not sure about rail yet. Truck now has around 230k on it. I’ve read where the 01-02 OS doesn’t limit power in any way. I guess what I’m feeling is the difference in fixed vs vgt. The lbz (lly) feels very smooth when the power comes on and that’s what I’m not used to. The lb7 was violent when the turbo lit and I loved it. And yes 01-02 look so much better. If I ever get it painted I’m gonna try to swap the front end. Don’t really wanna go fixed vane if I keep this truck.

Also, lml would be great but wouldn’t have one unless it was a 16 and that’s way over budget.

Josh154

Sep 28, 2015
Sioux Falls SD
I love my lml compared to my lmm. I’ve ran both fixed and modded vgts on the lmm. A lot of the scaryness your talking about comes from the fixed in my opinion. You put the pedal to the floor, hear the rail pressure rise, compressor start to whistle then bam hold on lol. My lml stock turbo even on stock trans is night and day better compared to the lmm. A lot could be tuning related though as well. Ppei tuned the lmm on vgt and Blake tunes my lml. The lml is no joke either at 550whp

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I’d love to have an lml. 16 only tho because the refinements made. But if I get anything that new it’ll be a brand new half ton with the 6.2 and keep the LLZ. I think fixed vane has a lot to do with it. I’m just gonna keep it for a while and mod it as money allows and see how I like it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I’d love to have an lml. 16 only tho because the refinements made. But if I get anything that new it’ll be a brand new half ton with the 6.2 and keep the LLZ. I think fixed vane has a lot to do with it. I’m just gonna keep it for a while and mod it as money allows and see how I like it.

Lets be honest, its an LBZ. No need for fancy designations.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
they all feel the same when you blow the tires off from a roll in 2wd :cool::roflmao:

seriously, you start learning to drive different to make 2wd stick or are constantly making sure the front end is tip top/setup so you can use 4wd more.

to me, if you are still on stock turbo, stock fueling, tuned and stock trans, this is like splitting hairs.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I know it is. I’m guessing the difference I’m feeling is vgt vs fixed. Instant vs a kick. I learned pretty good in the lb7 how to keep the rear end at bay and using 4x4 when I needed it. I’m keeping a diesel either way if I get anything else.