LB7 Tuner

LB7Layton

Aug 19, 2018
Hey guys, first post on here. I got a good deal on a bully dog gt that was in my price range and am considering buying it. I know efi is the way to go but I don't have the funds for that right now. As I said, I'm getting a very good deal on this bully dog. I was wondering what your guys' thoughts were on this tuner. Has anyone used one of these? What is the smoke output? (It's not EFI so I'm assuming it is going to smoke sadly, just wanting to know what to expect when I look in my mirror). Also, what are the downsides to this tuner? Any and all information is appreciated, the deal is set up for tomorrow if I decide to get it.
Thank you!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Most people on here with any experience might have ran a bullydog 15 years ago. They werent the best option back then, either. Run it if you want. It wont hurt anything. Just might be wiser to wait, save your money, and buy an EFI Autocal from a good tuner later.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I never messed with one in an lb7, but I tuned a few lbz's with them. I looked at the tune files and lets just say it left ALOT to be desired. On the lbz's they were horribly smoky for what they were and ran HOT EGT's. A 65hp tune on the lbz would run 1450+ egt's, and that was there tow tune. My performance tune for a stock trabs only ran 1325 egt's on the same truck, was virtually smokeless, and power wasn't in the same ball park.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
What makes their tune run that bad? Did they just screw up big time on the timing? Vane/boost tables? Fuel pressure? All of the above????

Or is it really that hard to make a canned tune run on all trucks well?

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
What makes their tune run that bad? Did they just screw up big time on the timing? Vane/boost tables? Fuel pressure? All of the above????

Or is it really that hard to make a canned tune run on all trucks well?

They change the simplest tables to make power, timing usually gets overlooked. Basically pulse width and they call it a day. The less time they spend with R&D the more money they make.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
On the lbz they activated post injection. Post injection is strictly for burning out soot from your dpf. Timing was mostly stock with a few jumps here and there. Mostly just CRUDE amounts of fuel thrown in, and increase to the throttle table to make the pedal touchier.