LB7 to LLY heads question?

outtatimexx

Aug 21, 2017
Perry, Ga.
Finally took the plunge!

Ok, so been back and forth on this for several years, and came to the point I had to decide. I've had an LLY donor engine (well, most of it), for about a year, and still couldn't decide. I was afraid to drive truck much, for fear of damaging bottom end, so Jan. 1st. this year, I decided to tackle it. Not a task for the faint of heart, or those with limited patience, changing an '01/'02 LB7 to an LLY. Found that out for myself, Skippy! So, after many hours of planning, searching, and swapping, and a few big dumb mistakes, I am riding again with an LLY. I am sure it will be easier next time!(Yeah, right!) First, let me say that if you desire to do this swap, search high and low and find a donor truck, and buy the whole thing! It is a TON easier. Even with the long block I had and a few extra items, I still had to source a bunch of small items, some of which are very hard to find. Also, you are bound to have some parts left over from the donor you can sell, as well as the LB7 parts from the old engine. I did not sell all of the small parts and the turbo from the lb7, and still did really well on Ebay. Another key to success of this swap is to connect with forums like this one, as well as professional in the businesses close to you. Their experience is invaluable! Thanks to everyone who gave me a hand! My favorite thing about the LLY over LB7, is that it runs quieter, much quieter. I know LLY's have their share of problems too, but I just could not bring myself to spend money on a set of injectors so hard to get to. I am happy with my decision to convert, someone else might think it too much trouble, but I had the time and money, so I went for it! Thanks again, Guys!!