Lb7 to LBZ transplant w/ Pics. Blogs!!!

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Hello every, I'm just starting my project 1/13/2011! It's a black 03 Silverado LT3. It has 164k miles at the moment. This project is to take place over the next month or two, as work and school are top priority right now!

The list of upgrades planned: LBZ and Allison 6-speed, 05+ Hood(More than likely a keystone ram air), 05+ Grille(Thinking RBP), Efi Live, rare parts tie rods, deleted egr, re-routed pvc, Halo projector head lights, halo projector fogs, Led's in EVERY light source possible, Hid's, Dynomatting the entire interior, as well as the firewall and hood 2 layers, sundown audio sa 10's in a subthump downfire box, sundown audio 1500 watt amp, un-sure of the HU and components at the moment, cognito 7-9", 22" rockstars or BMF's, 37" Toyo or Kumho MT's, color matched bushwasher flares mirrors and bumpers, 08+ badges, and the icing on the cake is going to be the entire interior from an 06 escalade platinum!-Minus the seating(Custom white and black). Plus or minus a few items.

I just started taking the old lb7 out today, I'll try to keep with updated every time I do something with the truck. The engine removal I keep limited, as when I get my LBZ, I'll be doing a full right up with videos(As long as I can find a video guinea pig haha!). That way we have a clear view of what's exactly needed to be done. That way people can see what they're getting there-selves into or gaining. I personally got tired the thought of "When are my injectors going". Even though I never had a issue with my baby, it has had it injectors replaced once! Plus I just want to have a lbz =) LET THE HACKING(I mean rebuilding begin!)

Attachments

• IMG_0641.jpg
    IMG_0641.jpg
    612.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0642.jpg
    IMG_0642.jpg
    528 KB · Views: 45

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Should have a good update tonight, just unhooking all the harnesses now and HOPEFULLY will have her out tmw. I'm still deciding on where to pull the engine and trans together or separate. Which do you guys think would be easier? Only bad thing about separate is it looks like transmission lifts are more than engine lifts considerably! like 500 or so!

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Pulling the engine and trans together is easiest but the weight of the two together can be a bit much for some engine hoists. Pulling transmission then the engine is more work. I hate more work. lol

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Just replacing my LB7 with an LBZ. My injectors are out and I really don't feel like replacing them to only have to do it in another 65-100k which is annually for me :/!

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Some more pictures for every! All that's left to get the old drivetrain out is the engine and trans mounts!

Attachments

• IMG_0675.jpg
    IMG_0675.jpg
    638.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    679.3 KB · Views: 69

beanpole209

May 5, 2010
This sounds familiar. My buddy did the same thing last year. Ended up being a pretty good swap.

Good luck!

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Well, I got it out! Guys, talk about a learning curve! It went fairly smoothly minus some issues. 1. The freaking drive side motor mount... Well the center bolt of the 3 holding it on was covered by a steel plate from the upper mount. How I don't know, but my buddy and I spent 2-3 hrs messing with it! I got annoyed so I too a grinder to the plate and had to grind about 1/4 into it. 2. Stupid little top plug of the NSBU switch decided to break off. 3 Double, triple, QUAD check to make sure your didn't miss any connections. Spent a good 30mins. or so messing around trying to figured out what was holding the combo in there. Well It was 2 brackets for the fuel line that yours truly forgot about! The biggest lesson was: The transfer case is fairly heavy... I decided that I didn't need a jack to get it out and tried to muscle it out. Well story short, it slipped out of my hands landed on my ribs. It only stung a bit... If you can get a picture of all the fins of the transfer case and imagine those damn things grinding between ribs :suicide:! Updates to come once the new Combo gets here!

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    699.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    627.3 KB · Views: 52

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Well, I got it out! Guys, talk about a learning curve! It went fairly smoothly minus some issues. 1. The freaking drive side motor mount... Well the center bolt of the 3 holding it on was covered by a steel plate from the upper mount. How I don't know, but my buddy and I spent 2-3 hrs messing with it! I got annoyed so I too a grinder to the plate and had to grind about 1/4 into it. 2. Stupid little top plug of the NSBU switch decided to break off. 3 Double, triple, QUAD check to make sure your didn't miss any connections. Spent a good 30mins. or so messing around trying to figured out what was holding the combo in there. Well It was 2 brackets for the fuel line that yours truly forgot about! The biggest lesson was: The transfer case is fairly heavy... I decided that I didn't need a jack to get it out and tried to muscle it out. Well story short, it slipped out of my hands landed on my ribs. It only stung a bit... If you can get a picture of all the fins of the transfer case and imagine those damn things grinding between ribs :suicide:! Updates to come once the new Combo gets here!

Aww, c'mon, it's not that heavy :baby:

I unbolted mine, pulled it off, sat it on my chest and wiggled out from under the truck... three times :p

But good deal :thumb: I didn't have the stones to pull the engine and trans together... Would have made joining them easier, but Allison is a heavy B.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
The transfer case isn't that heavy, only about 80 pounds with fluid in it. I've only got one good arm and I take mine out the old fashioned way. And yes, the engine and tranny are one HEAVY assembly to pull at the same time. If it wasn't for me having a good 4K pound hoist, I wouldn't had done it with mine.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Aww, c'mon, it's not that heavy :baby:

I unbolted mine, pulled it off, sat it on my chest and wiggled out from under the truck... three times :p

But good deal :thumb: I didn't have the stones to pull the engine and trans together... Would have made joining them easier, but Allison is a heavy B.

LOL it is when you weight all of 145LBS at 5'9"! Im a small guy!

You know I thought that too, I don't think I'd want to put them in together but taking them out Ill definitely do them together again. I got a duralast from Autozone its a 2 ton and I have it set on 1 ton and it did perfect. At first I was skeptical but I recommend it. Doesn't bleed off, lowers nice and slowly. Was only 200 bucks to!

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Oh, does anyone have any clue as to where to get ahold of an lbz and ally-6? Seems my deal may have feel through for the new engine :/ Pm me if anyone knows anything!

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I got mine off carpart.com from a salvage company in Arkansas. If no one on the forums has one for sale, that would probably be the next best bet.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Also, I was reading up on the lbz. It appears that if I do not get the engine with the original ECM. I'll have to reprogram the ECM for the injector flow rates. I'm reading my ALLDATA and it mentions communications between the glow plug control module and ECM. Well the GPCM stores the flow charts also; so if I get the engine with the GPCM and not the ECM. Will I just be able to plug up a new ECM and it will retrieve the flow chart from the GPCM, or can I pull the flow chart from the GPCM with EFI Live ooooor am I pretty much screwed to the point of where I'm going to have to take each injector out?