LB7: lb7 slow spool up problems

strongsperformance

2002 sierra cc dually
Jan 14, 2011
lake orion michigan
I am having a problem more often than not. If I am cruising 1700 or less rpm and lay into the pedal my truck seams to just pause for like 3 sec. it puts out a extremely amount of smoke until the turbo gets spooled then it pulls hard.
im fairly new to turbo's and diesels but in a gas drag car I would say it seams rich. My tunes are done by rob and I did not notice this before my cp3 went out. Now with a low mileage cp3 and a new lb7 reg I notice it.
I have yet to get to a efilive unit to log it and send it to rob.
Is it common to have your tunes logged and fine tuned after installed?
Oh only had efilive for 5 days before cp3 failure.
any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
I would start with the regulator. Did you put a new one on or did the cp3 just come with a new one

strongsperformance

2002 sierra cc dually
Jan 14, 2011
lake orion michigan
I bought a used pump from tony at allseason diesel and I removed the original reg and installed a brand new lb7 reg. I don't think it matters but the cp3 is from a lly but i definitely put a new lb7 reg.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Try putting the stock tune back in and see if the problem goes away. Sometimes tunes need slight tweaking from truck to truck.

cafryer

May 5, 2011
Utah
Your new pump can be flowing alot more fuel and is puting out the fire (per say) I also would put the stock tune in and see if it spools better.

Fastorange

Jan 31, 2009
ohio
kinda in a way it sounds to me that he has a boost leak.. check and make sure everything is tight. also check the map sensor. make sure its pluged in all the way.

strongsperformance

2002 sierra cc dually
Jan 14, 2011
lake orion michigan
Today I checked all connections and all is well.
I hooked it up on efilive and logged it I am going to send it to Idaho rob to see if it needs fine tuning.
It only seams a bit slow on spool up during my high tune. Down on 4 of my dsp 5 switch it spools faster but don't run as strong as level 5.
I did notice that my logged run before my cp3 failure had a demand for 27000 psi rail and I ran mostly at 23600a thru most of my run spiking at 26006 after let off.now with cp3 and new reg. It demands 27000 psi and I ran 21000mostly thru the run and spiking at 26006 after let off.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
so your losing more rail pressure now have you checked your lift pump pressure lb7 turbos are fixed vain they will take a couple seconds to go an yes having to much fuel will flood the turbo but i had my maf tables maxed an my truck spooled much faster wwith lots of fuel think your cp3 is still to weak imo

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Try putting the stock tune back in and see if the problem goes away. Sometimes tunes need slight tweaking from truck to truck.

Untill this is done, dont touch any hard parts or buy any parts. Throwing parts at an issue that isnt properly diagnosed leaves you with the same issue and a light wallet (or pissed off wife :D)

jon5212

Oct 13, 2010
Have you tried checking your air filter? Also how old is the fuel filter? Try those simple things first.

strongsperformance

2002 sierra cc dually
Jan 14, 2011
lake orion michigan
so your losing more rail pressure now have you checked your lift pump pressure lb7 turbos are fixed vain they will take a couple seconds to go an yes having to much fuel will flood the turbo but i had my maf tables maxed an my truck spooled much faster wwith lots of fuel think your cp3 is still to weak imo

Ok now is it my cp3 that's a little week or is it the regulator. Ill install a lbs reg and tune for it if that helps.
Like I mentioned before it seams fine on dsp level 4. But I also notice that it does not do it on 70° low humidity nights. Im probably just being picky on hot days. I personally think the l b z fuel pressure regulator would run stronger.
Yesterday I brought her up to 18 pounds of boost and let her go.:D
I I think it would of spun those babies clear thru 5ththe gear.