lb7 runs and idles like crap on and off

patfatnu

Nov 10, 2008
canada
hey guys i got an 02 sierra that has run into a problem...i have taken it to the dealship becasue it was throwing a code (p1232) and they checked it but at that time the check engine was off so they saidnothing is wrong...but they said it could be a failing ficm?they checked the injectors and all the wiring and they said it is fine....so my question is what is wrong haha.... the symptoms are poor idle choppy rough acceleration and it jsut sounds horrible...it also is smoking at idle it was white but is even going blue now..and like i said the symptoms are on and off but have been staying on the last few days...so if anyone knows what is wrong that would be great...im planing on chaning out the ficm with another used one but if i dont have to that would be great...thanks alot! also the truck is equiped with a diablosport predator

patfatnu

Nov 10, 2008
canada
yes please fill in the rest lol.....the dealship said it wasent injectors and they chcked them all but at that time the truck was not acting up...im really lost and dont wanna waste time or money on parts that i dont need

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
instead it was.... ??? can you fill in the rest of the sentence Mike? :angel:

Sorry. Problem is still not solved. Pat and I are now suspecting blown head gasket. Engine surges below 1500 rpm, won't make proper boost, white smoke in the morning, and constant coolant loss.
Engine runs pretty good on cold wet mornings 50% of the time, but when it gets close to operating temps it falls on its face. Engine just doesn't sound the same as it used to.

speedmetal6.6

Dodge Destroyer
Nov 3, 2008
Gillette,Wyoming
Mine kinda does the same thing except I wouldnt say it falls on its face when it warms up but with my PPE standard on 225 it smokes for a while when I start it up wether its cold outside or not and I took it to my buddy and we scanned it and came up with no Injector problems ( visable with the scan tool anyway) they all seemed to be firing right and balance was good he said, but we did scan it with the tuner of the truck was turned back to stock because I thought I was going to have to take it in . since I turned my tuner down I havnt had any real noticeable performance problems except I dont think it runs as good but it idles fine and doesnt have some of the symptoms your talking about but it doesnt smoke really anymore just a little puff comes out when it starts and thats it .So unles some body tells you different It probably isnt the injectors unless the truck does it on the stock setting also but I'm no expert this is my first diesel and I'm learning as I go ( good luck man ) . For the guys trying to figure out our problems for us Thank you very much:D P.S. even though my 0087 code problem isnt happening on the lower tune ( I'm still going to shim my fprv and get a lift pump) My truck doesnt seen to run right on stock or on any power level it used to run way better before my recent problems that most of you know about what else should I look into or should I take it to the dealership:confused:

patfatnu

Nov 10, 2008
canada
haha well mine is still doing it and is still on! so i still am at a loss...i am buying another ficm and seeing if that will help unless u guys have another idea..... mine doesent change with or without the tuner on

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
If you have a Tech II you can shut injectors down one by one and see if you have an issue there. Balance rate and return fuel rate also.

If the fuel pressure control valve has never been changed then that could be it. I doubt you have a bad fuel injection control module.

Check the injectors and let us know your outcome. I myself have a crappy idle and if I just lean on the throttle a hair it smooths right out. Also I will get an occasional lop which I know I have another bad FRPCV. A jab of the throttle clears it right up.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
i am thinking fuel pressure regulator. they are common and produce the symptons like that. there is a way to check it with a tech 2. ask your dealer if they checked it. if they dont do many diesels they wont know how to check though.

patfatnu

Nov 10, 2008
canada
alright well i already bought a new ficm it was a 100 bucks lol....and they chcked all the injectors sepertly already they said they were fine ....i will call today to see if they chcked that regulator...should i just replace this ficm anyways....they said it was the ficm becasue the symptoms are on and off....

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
alright well i already bought a new ficm it was a 100 bucks lol....and they chcked all the injectors sepertly already they said they were fine ....i will call today to see if they chcked that regulator...should i just replace this ficm anyways....they said it was the ficm becasue the symptoms are on and off....

Let me know if you want to get rid of the ficm.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct

i would bet against the ficm for now. in all the dmax repairs we do here we have only done 3-5 ficms. i know 2 for fact were because they got shorted during jump start and were completely dead. no start condition. they are easy enough to change though if you feel like doing it. just make sure you get the gaskets for the fuel lines first.

patfatnu

Nov 10, 2008
canada
liek replace them u mean...its here on tuesday and tis brand new....if this dont work wat else could it be? also mike l do u want my old ficm or something?

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
If you have a Tech II you can shut injectors down one by one and see if you have an issue there. Balance rate and return fuel rate also.

If the fuel pressure control valve has never been changed then that could be it. I doubt you have a bad fuel injection control module.

Check the injectors and let us know your outcome. I myself have a crappy idle and if I just lean on the throttle a hair it smooths right out. Also I will get an occasional lop which I know I have another bad FRPCV. A jab of the throttle clears it right up.

Maybe your tuning needs to be updated, send it in to Daddy for a quick fix................:eek:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: