LB7: lb7 makes loud noise that's coming from the intake

redneck0125

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
My truck is an 04 lb7 has around 200k not sure if maintainence history or parts changed I just bought this truck very cheap was wondering if someone has encountered this before... http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/r...oads/VID_79900925_055047_zps926006d9.mp4.html. let me know if y'all can view the video or not truck is low on power.. puts out white smoke...No blow-by or extra pressure coming out through the chilling system while running... idles smooth was not able to get the balance rates yet

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Sounds like a valve issue. Possible that the valve lash is way too loose.

When I did my head gaskets 2 and a half years ago, I somehow left #2 exhuast valve lash nut loose so on start up it sounded great, then after 10 minutes it sounded identical to your truck. Loud poping/thumping coming from the intake.

Pulled the valve cover and sure enough...reset it and havnt had a problem since.

redneck0125

Jul 29, 2014
Texas
Alright I'm sure it probably needs injectors..like I said I just bought the truck I want totally site what could cause this though

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
That to me sounds like just a heavy fuel knock. If you have one injector with a balance rate of +/-15 that's likely the culprit cylinder. A compression test will help verify if it's the hole or the injector. White smoke can be from a dead hole but in that case there likely wouldn't be such a hard knock. I think it's more likely you have crap injector(s).

nwodiesel

Mar 29, 2014
Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
That to me sounds like just a heavy fuel knock. If you have one injector with a balance rate of +/-15 that's likely the culprit cylinder. A compression test will help verify if it's the hole or the injector. White smoke can be from a dead hole but in that case there likely wouldn't be such a hard knock. I think it's more likely you have crap injector(s).

I just encountered the exact same thing. I could post my vid and youd see.Anyway turns out while replacing the injectors I adjusted the valves for good measure . Upon start up it was fine. Idled to temp..... fine. Went for a ride. Made it 3 blocks and that sound happened. Turned out the lock nut for an EXHAUST valve had backed off and was barely opening. Tightened it back up and all is well. That was 10k km's ago. Shitty thing is to adjust the valves u have to tear down to basically the injectors. Good thing you can do it all at once

If u do a cylinder contribution test with a good scanner....itll show you the one lagging down the other 7.Then you tear one side aapart only but sounds like you need a set of squirters anyway......the white smoke is the injectors.....garanteed