LB7: Lb7 Blown Turbo?

laser45v

Aug 1, 2014
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a 2003 duramax with low miles on it. The guy stated the turbo went out and filled the intercooler with oil. He has a new turbo that goes with the truck but he says the truck won't run. He said it ran before. How can I tell the extent of the damage and make sure that the motor isn't hurt. And does that mean that oil made it into the antifreeze? Thanks.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Truck should still start and run, but it will be pouring oil out of the tail pipe. Before he starts it make sure you refill it. Lol. I've seen them explode before and the truck be just fine. It just depends how far he drove it when it gave up the ghost. It will more than likely need a new intercooler so keep that in mind...

laser45v

Aug 1, 2014
That's what I thought. But he said it won't run. Huh. Could it be to there being too much oil in intercooler? Because he said it needs 2 injectors. I would just like to hear it fire before I spend the money.

laser45v

Aug 1, 2014
Didn't get to try to start it yet. I wasn't going to make the trip until I had some things in my head of what to look for. I was going to go tonight and tell you guys what it does. Any kind of checklist I can go over prior to starting and then diagnosing if it doesn't start? Thanks guys for all the help so far.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
When I blew my stock turbo it ended up filling the rear two cylinders full of oil and hydrolocking it. Had to pull the glowplugs to even crank it over.

Dmax87

Dec 3, 2013
Best thing to do would be remove the pipe going into the intake of the engine, push off to the side and attempt to crank like already stated, it depends on how long it ran after the turbo blew. By removing the pipe you're eliminating the chance of oil making it from the inter cooler back into the engine and it running away. Would be nice if you could turn engine over by hand before cranking. If you do crank over and it doesn't move do not force the issue. Remove glow plugs and attempt to crank again. You can also remove the intercooler and either flush it yourself with hot water and degreaser or send to radiator shop. It's around $100 to have radiator shop clean it but it'll look new when you get it back