Late LLY, is it a LBZ question.

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Hey, my friend just put a late, 2006 LLY engine into an LBZ, wont' start, getting cam/crank errors. I've read these are basically detuned LBZ's until they could get the programming thru the EPA. On that note!

Is the reluctor the 57 tooth or do they use the LBZ 58 tooth? What crank do they use? Are they LLY heads or LBZ heads? Will the injectors have to be swapped out?

Sorry, I'm not there to help him out and he's not good at figuring stuff out. TIA.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Reluctor wheel answer here:

Not sure if the late LLY uses an LBZ reluctor though.

I think LBZ heads with LBZ injectors.

Reactions: turbovan

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
give us more info. Did he reuse the 06 engine harness and drop the whole thing in? realistically, i dont think the bail connectors would connect then if it was a true LLY engine. He also shouldnt be able to put LBZ injector wiring harness on LLY injector wiithout modding them. i feel he may have just put the cam sensor in the crank location and vise versa for the crank sensor?

Reactions: turbovan

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
He put the LLY harness on the "new" engine.

I think the injector clips are universal. I have tried LMM, LBZ injectors and they fit the LLY harness connectors.

He's currently ripping the front of the motor off.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
He put the LLY harness on the "new" engine.

I think the injector clips are universal. I have tried LMM, LBZ injectors and they fit the LLY harness connectors.

He's currently ripping the front of the motor off.
nope, they are different but can be made to work

but if he put the 06 harness on the 06 engine and then connected the bail connectors to his (what i assume is) 06 or 07 lbz, im 99% sure its a LBZ engine and hes either got a loose reluctor wheel on the crank or sensors were swapped/bad.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
All 06 model year Duramax run a Bosch ECM. Bosch Duramax ecm use a 58 tooth reluctor wheel. “LLY” or LBZ.

17 years later and the all knowing internet still confuses this.

Treat all 06 Duramax as a LBZ.

With this said, the only exception I have seen is the H1 Alpha Hummer. The ones I have tuned(only a hand full) are 06 model year but are infact Delphi controlled, FICM powered, 57 tooth, 5 speed Allison, LLY Duramax

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Ok, so its running. FYI, it has the 58 tooth reluctor and LBZ injectors.

I told him to check grounds and he said they were fine. Fast forward to last week, calls me saying it turns over then stops and he loses communication. I told him to check the grounds again using a high beam headlight.
Called me an hour later, running, bad ground.
Thanks everyone.