Larry "The Stroker"

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
hey Larry,
apparently there has been question about the trucks performance and capability...inperticular the 60 to 110 mph time. I personally haven't ridden in the truck, but i did see you break 4 times going down the track and still trap 110 prior to adjustments, which is proof enough for me that it has more power than most trucks around here, but can it do 60-110 in 3 to 4.5 seconds? :thumb:

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
lol, I've ridden in some fast cars that will throw you back...never a truck that can do it though. I believe it can, but I thought we could discuss it for everyone else, if Larry wants to. :hello:

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
www.larrysperformancepalace.com
Just in one of the runs saturday-8.875 in the 1/8 and 13.321 in the quarter= 4.446 seconds-you tell me:D
Now, going down the road to "mexico" if you nail it at 60-65 it will hit 110-115 in 3.5 to 4.5 seconds depending in the street and traction.
I am getting tired of defending my claims. I for one drive it, built it with lots of expert help and advice but since its a stroker I now have to constantly defend it. When we get every thing right, traction, trans, tune (by an expert on a dyno) everyone who talks smack will and I mean will eat their words. I have never been shocked by the performance of anything I have built until this thing. Diesels are amazing and their potential is limitless except by the community who keeps all the damn secrets because someone might use their idea. How do these people expect this sport to grow if no one shares what they learn? I for one will always share what we have learned, what we have put in this thing, there are no secrets in my house. Guy Tripp, Pat and Kat Mc Swain, Rick De Lance who built the headers, Larry Jewell, Broder's machine, Tom Briley, Mark Winger, Dan@PPE, John from M and H Tires, Jesse at Discount, and several members of this site have all been part of this project. When all is said and done and the truck can be called finished, I hope to make them all proud and shut up the non believers.
Yes, we can discuss anything you want. I will always respond, and try to help in any way.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
not argueing this case just giving you a base line for reference .
from a log on a run down the strip my truck ran from 60-100 in 5.01 sec
and covered the back 1/8 mile of the track in 4.43 sec on a 12.03 run with a 7.70 1/8 mile time . have never timed it just rolling into the throttle from 60-100 . and dont know how acurate a log id for measureing ?

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
not argueing this case just giving you a base line for reference .
from a log on a run down the strip my truck ran from 60-100 in 5.01 sec
and covered the back 1/8 mile of the track in 4.43 sec on a 12.03 run with a 7.70 1/8 mile time . have never timed it just rolling into the throttle from 60-100 . and dont know how acurate a log id for measureing ?

Your right. The problem is the spinning. The numbers I put up in the other post if for giggles:D The speed I was at in the 1/8th was higher then 60-65:D
I am having fun with this thing and if I piss off someone with my claims oh well, I know what it will do. Just like someone I know dynoed at 600+ hp but runs a 13.9. According to the "estimator" they should run 12's. Nothing is as it seems in this world of diesels. The elevation, humidity, and quality of fuel always play a part in performance-gas or diesel. We need someone to invent "high-test" diesel:D.
This thing has turned into a mines better then your high school verbal bashing on me for some reason. I didn't say anything to anyone bashing anything, in fact, this weekend was depressing and embarassing for me on a whole. If a certain truck had shown up I would have probably lost due to impatience and no traction and no self control. I try not to get overly involved or upset but I am getting tired of it. People need to STFU or back it up including me!

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
for some reason, in the automotive world, people are more concerned about "OTHER" peoples vehicles than their own. every vehicle is differnet...gas or diesel. i've been around gassers longer than diesels, but i know that either one, there will always be someone that claims to do something that no one else believes. most of the time it's some punk kid trying to get attention. when it comes from someone with a good reputation, everyone else USUALLY will support them and want to see it perform, unless someone doesn't know that person or their reputation. this is more common now with the internet, since it's a global crowd.
I'm still young, but i know that 40 years ago, a 11 second car was usually built and not just anyone could build it. now, you can buy them that way, or build one yourself with just directions off the internet. nothing is out of reach anymore and I KNOW that if someone claims to do something, I'll keep my mouth shut and enjoy the show :popcorn:, or i'll offer to help them get there. (need any help Larry, just call). you won't find me as a neighsayer. :hug:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
this is a question about the stroker build: does it use any oil? why i am asking is because the pistons are forged and the oil control rings look like they are in the wristpin area. also is this stroker engine for a toy/competition use only or can you daily drive it/ long distance trip it? by the way i am not starting crap, just curious because it is a hush hush thing on these stroker engines, and it looks like you probably put more miles on it than the rest of the stroker guys

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
for some reason, in the automotive world, people are more concerned about "OTHER" peoples vehicles than their own. every vehicle is differnet...gas or diesel. i've been around gassers longer than diesels, but i know that either one, there will always be someone that claims to do something that no one else believes. most of the time it's some punk kid trying to get attention. when it comes from someone with a good reputation, everyone else USUALLY will support them and want to see it perform, unless someone doesn't know that person or their reputation. this is more common now with the internet, since it's a global crowd.
I'm still young, but i know that 40 years ago, a 11 second car was usually built and not just anyone could build it. now, you can buy them that way, or build one yourself with just directions off the internet. nothing is out of reach anymore and I KNOW that if someone claims to do something, I'll keep my mouth shut and enjoy the show :popcorn:, or i'll offer to help them get there. (need any help Larry, just call). you won't find me as a neighsayer. :hug:
Well, since you are the original poster and since I know your reasons for starting this thread, I'm going to have to assume you are talking about me here. If you think I'm a punk kid trying to get attention because I called Larry's claims into question, fine. However, I will have you know, I have put a lot of hard work into my truck, and dealt with a lot of problems in my quest to build a fast truck. Probably more than most people on this forum. I do all my own work and all my own tuning. You can ask several people that personally know me and know what I've gone through with my truck and what I am still going through. Maybe when you try building an 11 or 10 second diesel pickup, you will understand too.

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
actually, no. you are not the punk kid i referred to. i don't even know your age? I know you have a fast truck and I don't have any problem with you or your connection to why this thread was started. the "punk kid" i was referring to is another local guy that Larry Jewell and Larry Reisner both know from SARacing..."Got Smoke".

besides, the "Punk kid" in my statement is the one trying to accomplish the task...which the task is Larry's.

Last edited:

kenny

kennydiesel
Mar 5, 2009
washington state
???:popcorn:

I think that someday, all the members on this forum should get together at a local or central spot in the states and duke it out on both a dyno and a strip just for the sake of bragging rights and to show each one his own, and to put on a good show.:D

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX
this is a question about the stroker build: does it use any oil? why i am asking is because the pistons are forged and the oil control rings look like they are in the wristpin area. also is this stroker engine for a toy/competition use only or can you daily drive it/ long distance trip it? by the way i am not starting crap, just curious because it is a hush hush thing on these stroker engines, and it looks like you probably put more miles on it than the rest of the stroker guys

i'll let Larry fill you in on the details, but i do know they tow with the truck and drive it on the street a lot.

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
All the negative discussion would disappear if time slips were posted. :catfight:

That is, if there ever were any time slips... ;)

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas

So far with 10,000 miles it used about 1 1/2 quarts between the two oil changes i have done. He drives it every day and hauls pumpjacks across texas about every other week. I think once everything is done and right it will be a low 11's truck maybe even a high ten. I may be wrong but it pulls so hard if it ever does hook up something is going to break or it will be great.

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
All the negative discussion would disappear if time slips were posted. :catfight:

There are actually 6 time slips-the three from this weekend are very light in ink. I will try to get them up. I gave all the time from this weekend in the drag racing area. I got them from the slips. I was not impressed with myself or the traction.

LT1BRD

sidelines expert
Mar 25, 2009
San Angelo, TX

:D nobody's upset here. JoshH and I were messenging each other about the topic. I just didn't understand where he was coming from at first. now I do, so it's all gravy...with biscuits :alc:.
the stroker, being freshly built, isn't "complete" yet. yes it runs...great from what I've seen, just needs a little tweaking. this thread wasn't ment for negativity...just discussion on the stroker and any questions and answers that arise from it...as long as Larry wants to answer them, which he said he doesn't have a problem doing so. :welcome4:

Last edited:

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Wrist pins intersecting the oil rings is very common in performance pistons and doesn't normally result in increased oil consumption.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
so far with 10,000 miles it used about 1 1/2 quarts between the two oil changes i have done. He drives it every day and hauls pumpjacks across texas about every other week. I think once everything is done and right it will be a low 11's truck maybe even a high ten. I may be wrong but it pulls so hard if it ever does hook up something is going to break or it will be great.

thank you for the input:)