L5P performance builds (beyond just a built trans)

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Since we dont hear much about the L5P performance stuff on here, lets drive a little food up to feed some hunger i have.

Outside of the typical factory ecm limitations and what banks is doing, who else is pushing these engines? has anyone done a retrofit?

i really dont want to be a guinea pig.... :roflmao:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Ruh ro

Attachments

• 403CD0A5-0257-48D1-A2B4-20F6918694D5.jpg
    403CD0A5-0257-48D1-A2B4-20F6918694D5.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 123

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
There’s a diesel shop out in Wisconsin somewhere called Diesel Attitude that swapped one into an LBZ. Don’t know if they’ve done anything modification wise, but they do sled-pull with it. Looks to be running great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Last summer I put a 14mm CP3 S&S 200’s and a stainless 5 Blade S485 single with a 150 shot on my 19. The cam didn’t like the turbo so we switched to a tight A/R s472 and it didn’t live long. It spun a bearing within 2 weeks and it’s been sitting ever since so we didn’t get to learn much or make a pass.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
One of my dealers has one torn apart right now that already has a cracked piston at 39k miles on a deleted stock truck soooooo........ Same shit different day....:spit:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Wait hold on, lock this thread. Thought it was supposed to be stock :roflmao:

It will be! Just means the engine ain’t comin out

Evan, why do you think it spun a bearing?

Mark, was it on quality tuning by a tuner that had access to enough tables? I have ALOT of concerns there isn’t enough tables found to really make tuning, quality. I feel like it’s lb7 tuning before efi live came out.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
We weren’t nice to it with a nitrous pass on the street and it started knocking after some idling the knock magically went away. Obviously something had happened but I was in Louisiana and had nothing else I’d drive. Oil pressure dropped about 5 psi and I kept driving for almost 1500 miles as it slowly declined to zero when we dropped the pan we found the mess :baby:

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana

Mark, was it on quality tuning by a tuner that had access to enough tables? I have ALOT of concerns there isn’t enough tables found to really make tuning, quality. I feel like it’s lb7 tuning before efi live came out.

It was done by a big name company but I personally know nothing about the L5P tuning itself so who knows.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Socal diesel had posted they shipped out an L5P long block for a customer. Not sure what was modified or where it was going

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
There is one here IIRC stock engine, big stroker, 150overs, and 476. Don’t know nothing about and probably won’t. I just saw the pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la

I think there are plenty enough tables there to get the job done correctly in HPTuners. This ECU logic is MUCH simpler than that of a LBZ/LMM/LML Ecu. L5P is much easier to tune - although emissions tables are not accessible via HPT.

If anyone has missing tables they think they need - let me know as I'll be happy help.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I think there are plenty enough tables there to get the job done correctly in HPTuners. This ECU logic is MUCH simpler than that of a LBZ/LMM/LML Ecu. L5P is much easier to tune - although emissions tables are not accessible via HPT.

If anyone has missing tables they think they need - let me know as I'll be happy help.

just out of curiosity, kory. being that i dont have the actual tune info in front of me, how much access is there to trans defuel and keeping the trans happy a tuned ecm? how much control do you have over the fueling to keep emissions from backing up with soot? how much ghost coding happens with these? how in depth can you get with fueling tables and timing tables as well as pilot injection and timing plus any more can you get to really make these run like factory.... but better?

my biggest hang up with EVER tuning this truck is not warranty (its part of it but not all of it) but that i would want to tune it myself to have additional power, keep emissions equipment and make it as smooth as stock or better (if that makes sense). im that picky a$$hole that wants it perfect. my 02 had years worth of time in it tweaking here, tweaking there to get it right after every change.

btw, thread isnt about my truck. Just using it as an example i guess for info.

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
just out of curiosity, kory. being that i dont have the actual tune info in front of me, how much access is there to trans defuel and keeping the trans happy a tuned ecm? how much control do you have over the fueling to keep emissions from backing up with soot? how much ghost coding happens with these? how in depth can you get with fueling tables and timing tables as well as pilot injection and timing plus any more can you get to really make these run like factory.... but better?

my biggest hang up with EVER tuning this truck is not warranty (its part of it but not all of it) but that i would want to tune it myself to have additional power, keep emissions equipment and make it as smooth as stock or better (if that makes sense). im that picky a$$hole that wants it perfect. my 02 had years worth of time in it tweaking here, tweaking there to get it right after every change.

btw, thread isnt about my truck. Just using it as an example i guess for info.

Legit questions!

I made a huge post on a facebook group yesterday (LML DURAMAX BRETHREN) about a lot of this stuff... Here are a few tips and what I have learned....

The trucks shift AWESOME from the factory. So if you need to adjust for defuel - start over on the tune... the torque tables are messed up or the torque limits/fuel limits are maxed out. If you keep the fuel and torque within the top reference torque calculated - itll stay shifting happy!

So there is literally over 80hp on the table STRAIT from the factory... and good news - staying within the factory reference maps (Basically by this I mean if you keep the desired torque and mm3) to the top of the pulse reference and then the top of the torque reference.. then you stay within parameters they actually calculated at GM. What is the benefit of this? GM actually calibrated those maps to meet target AFR (referenced as lambda in the ECU). So you can have it so that your pulse table actually runs to the top along with boost. LESS IS MORE in OEM tuning. So as long as you do not touch the pulse table - you will be staying within target lambda. If you are hitting target lambda from the factory - then you know your EGTs, SOOT, etc. from the factory will all be happy. The L5P uses VERY LITTLE egr as well.. So really no need for those tables.

So lets say you want to add more fuel above that. The turbocharger has more room in it to do so... and it will take a little more boost if you add more fuel than what the tables reference from the OEM. For ALL of my tuning now - I use the banks Idash with a innovative wideband plugged into it. I find the factory refresh rate to just be a little slow.. So this is my preference. Plenty of tables to do it in HPT and also hook up a wideband their as well.. I just like the calculated PIDs of the idash unit. I know they catch hell, but its what we use and it works.

Timing - this is where you have a nice bit of room on the table. OEM runs very low timing for most atmospheric conditions. The timing tables from OEM look jacked because this is the primary way they meet noX emissions, etc. Nox will not affect your soot, etc, its simply into the air. So if you are doing some testing and not planning on really worrying about that to a big egree, play with timing and you will see some big torque gains and can also lower EGTs even further. If you increase duration (On time/pulsewidth).. then you are increasing the amount of time the injector is on.. So the injector is on for more travel of the crank (Referenced CAD - Crank Angle Degrees). JoshH has built a very nice calculator that can get you in a nice area for timing... Start at like 50% BTDC. Anything much over like 40 CAD - you are getting into no mans land of safety, although myself and many on this group run as much as 60* of total on time for huge tunes on stock injectors. Not recommended, but its cheap fun for a while. Emissions wont live with it.

If you want to watch the nox output, the idash also has PPM (parts Per Million). You can observe what stock is and then try to get your tune to not go over stock. Its a fun game to play! LOL!

Pilot, post, etc. You really do not need to mess with it for what we are saying above. The truck does awesome stock and until you start really adding some on-time, etc... Its just fine.

Hope this helps a little. There is much more in-depth convos about all this, but that is my simple quick break-down.

EDIT: If you start with the right base file matching your vehicle and use the same ecu that came out of it - you should not have any ghost codes or anything like that. Most of these codes come from immobilizer issues, injector calibration issues, or other random things that happen when you swap ECUs and do not copy that data from ECU "A" to ECU "B". I do my best to never have to just disable a code, but to calibrate it to its happy place so it doesnt code. Not always the case, but thats the goal.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The sad part about FB is those posts get buried so fast...

Thank you for the info though. Why the post on a LML page vs the L5P brotherhood?

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
The sad part about FB is those posts get buried so fast...

Thank you for the info though. Why the post on a LML page vs the L5P brotherhood?

It was a post I responded to in the LML group where someone was asking about what needed to be done for TCM tuning on a built trans.

There was lots of bad info floating around.. so I did a VERY long post. I’ll try to find it today and copy/paste it here. Had some killer info in it about canbus, calculated PIDs, hardware/software, and how the tcm functioned as far as correcting itself to make shift times properly and why/how it does what it does in a pretty simple format.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
It was a post I responded to in the LML group where someone was asking about what needed to be done for TCM tuning on a built trans.

There was lots of bad info floating around.. so I did a VERY long post. I’ll try to find it today and copy/paste it here. Had some killer info in it about canbus, calculated PIDs, hardware/software, and how the tcm functioned as far as correcting itself to make shift times properly and why/how it does what it does in a pretty simple format.

On that note, if you're willing to, could you post that info into relevant sections? Not that I think FB is a bad place, I think the community here will actually read and understand/follow your information vs all the keyboard warriors in some of those groups. Luckily I still fall into the "wet behind the ears" category on tuning (zero experience) and reading good info is always appreciated.