L5P hangs up at WOT

rossbaker13

Aug 6, 2023
Georgetown SC
Hey guys, I'm new here and hoping someone may have experienced/resolved this issue. L5P hangs up at 74mph under WOT, stops accelerating (as if it hits a rev limiter or governor), throws check engine light and reduced engine power. Codes are P041D, P200E, P228B, P0216. Dealership has been unable to replicate the condition while their diagnostic computer is connected. The truck seems fine otherwise but this has made highway driving quite a pain, especially when passing. It almost feels like it's refusing to shift to the next gear because it it happening at WOT high in the RPM band, however when it hangs up it actually starts slowly decelerating to around 65mph (pedal to the floor) before it displays the "reduced engine power" message. It doesn't always do it but maybe around 30% of the time. I keep paying diagnostic fees but the dealership seems stumped every time I bring it in. I have videos of this happening but haven't been able to replicate while hooked up to diagnostic. Has anyone experienced this issue?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'd guess you have a fuel restriction somewhere. Or the engine is not getting what it expects. P228B is a fuel pressure regulator performance code and P0216 is something related to the pump not being able to inject the fuel at the right time. Both could be caused by a fuel restriction.

Maybe a pinched hose. Clogged filter. Low pressure on lift pump, etc. Something that is keeping the HPFP from getting the fuel it needs at maximum output

But I'm not too familiar with the L5P so I could be way off

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You need to see what codes are kicking first. Fuel codes or aftertreament codes. You also should be watching lift pump pressure, egt sensors, rail pressure and see if the vehicle is in passive or active regen