Kryptonite tie rods, or stockers with sleeves?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I need to replace the inner and outer tierod ends on my truck. They are pretty sloppy.

Should I just buy the kryptonite tie rods? Or rebuild mine with sleeves?

SBLC

Here to Learn
Jun 12, 2008
Utah
One thing to think about is replacement part availability for the tie rods you choose. I ended up doing sleeves so I could get my tie rod ends at any box store if needed. My application isn't conducive to needing a over sized tie rod(no boosted launches 4wd, rare 4wd usage), so I think it depends on what are shooting for personally. Just because Tommy down the street has 5 in diameter tie rods might not mean it's the best solution in your case. Define what you want them for and why; that should answer sleeves vs tierods.
Just some food for thought and my 2 cents

Posted from tapatalk,

Last edited:

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
One thing to think about is replacement part availability for the tie rods you choose. I ended up doing sleeves so I could get my tie rod ends at any box store if needed. My application isn't conducive to needing a over sized tie rod.
Just some food for thought
Posted from tapatalk,
Ive been hearing that excuse for the last few years, never heard of anybody having a sudden problem with HD tierods other fabtechs

SBLC

Here to Learn
Jun 12, 2008
Utah
It's not an excuse it's just is what it is. Parts wear out and I don't know when they will wear out, but it is usually at the most inconvenient time possible. It's all personal choice.

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Rare parts are rebuildable. rarely ever... Actually I have never heard of a high quality aftermarket tierod failing from a sudden problem besides abuse or improper use. As far as wearing out... You should be checking that shit and not just guessing when they will wear out.

I think rare parts are even available at napa

Last edited:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
3 years on my rare parts tie rods. Probably 500+ 4x4 boosted launches and just under 30,000 miles of use. They are still tight as the day I put them on.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
If you are willing to bust out a set of calipers and search through the catalogs you'll find that they are all assemblies of off the shelf parts.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I want beefed up tierods for 4x4 boosted launches. Plus mine are sloppy right now. So something has to be done.

SBLC

Here to Learn
Jun 12, 2008
Utah
I was in the same position as you a couple weeks ago 130,000 miles on tierods, but ordered sleeves instead of tierod assemblies . When I was lookin at some of the assemblies they looked like scab jobs in my opinion, which is scary from an engineering viewpoint. Sure I can look in a catalog for commercial off the shelf parts (doesn't mean I can get part locally) but that's only one component to an overall assembly. There is a custom aspect of the design, and what design Billy bob picked while using his wigi board is a mystery. All I am saying is the stock design has been vetted and some of these "this should work" designs might not be what they purport to be. I am not against aftermarket tie rods I just think one needs to be judicious in selecting the tierod assembly. For me I didn't like any of the tie rod assemblies that I looked at either because of the design, part supportable, no published real world data, etc.. Heavy duty tie rods have their place when implemented correctly for the intended application, I don't know if they are the correct solution for daily drivers.. I don't know how many times in this community people have come up with a "better" design and even posted pretty fea feel good pictures (which are subjective to the analysis setup and display schemes deployed).

In a world with unicorns and rainbows I would be checking all "my shit" regularly and I wouldn't have time for anything else.

Are these trucks with aftermarket tierods driven daily (how many miles are we talking, I reconize the mention of 30000 miles) and also being boosted launched?

Posted with tapatalk

Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I understand your angle, and it is cheaper to rebuild stockers and use sleeves.

bluebowtie

duramax addict
Jan 1, 2011
Madison WI
8f34b2b775b4f86724906d2a9ec0ca19.jpg
83d496ccbbb6ae446b270ee8dca5d571.jpg

I'm putting these rareparts Gen 2 on tomorrow.

Sent from the mobile leash

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
With your big tires? Or just sucks period?

My own truck has gone through 3 in the last 75k. I know of other trucks that have had the same issue till they upgraded.

If your cheap, do stock stuff with sleeves. If you want an upgrade beyond that. Go rare parts or something else

Tyler_LBZ

Feb 26, 2015
NC
I'm running the Rare Parts tie rods and so far I really like them, very stout compared to the stock ones.