Knocking noise w/audio

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Ok guys so ive had this knocking noise ever since I got my truck back from having the compounds done. Some guys who have heard the noise in person think its piping hitting on something while others have suggested its the valve noise and the lash may be set incorrectly. This noise comes when engine is warm and not until then. I am worried about it even though friends have said im paranoid. What do you guys think? Here is a video, listen for a hallow pipe knocking sound should be easy to distinguish. Power is still very good and doesnt seem to be lacking at all. Click on the picture.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Do you hear a slight popping noise coming out of the intake filter or exhaust? might be a little hard to hear with the twins..

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I checked and there is def not a popping noise @ the intake. Here is a video with sound @ the exhaust.

f2d35455.mp4

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
the exhaust sound ok. Can you get one under the hood by the air intake? Did they readust the valves or just take loose the rocker shaft?

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
the exhaust sound ok. Can you get one under the hood by the air intake? Did they readust the valves or just take loose the rocker shaft?

I couldn't say for sure. Looks like they just yanked the shaft.
008f2acb.jpg

I should be able to get another video this evening, and thanks for the help BTW

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM

Here is a video @ idle. Sorry for moving the camera all around, wanted you guys to hear the motor from all sides. When I was changing my oil yesterday I noticed that the lower valve cover might be leaking a smidge. The side/back of the cylinder head looks as if diesel was spilled on it and dust collected on it but maybe its oil with dust resting in it. Had a few drops of oil on a piece of wiring insulation below the head on the drivers side. If the lower valve cover wasnt down tight could I just be hearing noise I wouldnt normally hear if it was snugged down? Click on the pic to watch the video sorry its loud and I had my iphone turned the wrong way

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
whats it mean if theres a popping coming from your intake? I think my intake sounds abit funny after the build. I'll try and get a video of mine. My truck kinda sounds like the first video,

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
does it change with engine rpm,load ect ?

The noise speeds up when engine is up to speed, but becomes hard to hear. I will get a driving video posted today. Thanks for the replies guys I want to know if I'm paranoid or this requires some investigation. I should check the balance rates for kicks?

Sep 17, 2008
Racine,WI
I have a feeling since they had the high pressure injector lines off ,its possible that some dirt or debris got in a injector . Or if the valve lash wasn't set,or set correctly when they installed the rocker shaft that will also cause a noise with engine rpm . Just some things that cross my mind .

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I have a feeling since they had the high pressure injector lines off ,its possible that some dirt or debris got in a injector . Or if the valve lash wasn't set,or set correctly when they installed the rocker shaft that will also cause a noise with engine rpm . Just some things that cross my mind .

Thanks for the input. I will update when I find out exactly what is going on. Gonna tear into it here in a week or two when work isnt so busy and I have some more energy

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I was listening to my truck yesterday and kinda noticed a similar noise. I'm just curious if its normal engine harmonics, yet the added bracketry/piping for the compounds may just be emphasizing the sound? I've never ridden in anyone elses compound truck so its just a theory I had.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I was listening to my truck yesterday and kinda noticed a similar noise. I'm just curious if its normal engine harmonics, yet the added bracketry/piping for the compounds may just be emphasizing the sound? I've never ridden in anyone elses compound truck so its just a theory I had.

You may be right Dustin. I just need to invest the time and dig into it. Can't make up my mind if I'm going to put that new CP3 in place of my current one or run dual fuelers. The thought of 8 hours to swap a CP3 don't sound too great vs 4 hours to install 2CP3 kit. Either way if I can hold rail on my max effort June 30 I'm going boom!!!