Key In Ignition code help

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
I've been occasionally getting a "key in ignition circuit fault" code come up. The only symptoms I have noticed are that my tow/haul button isn't working and that my command start has been acting a bit wierd.

The tow haul thing Im quite certain is the wiring issue - When I hold the column gear selector back or down it seems to work once in awhile. I'll check the wiring later.

The command start thing - It will do a reset on the controller while I'm driving the thing around (like when I would change batteries in the remote). Or sometimes the alarm activates for no reason. Its a 2-way compustar, installed new in 2005.

Any ideas what the key in ignition thing is all about?

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Mine does that once in a while when I leave the key in the ignition and use the remote start. I've been told it comes from having the bypass module security chip and the key security chip to close to one another when it's given the command to start.
:)

rick67

Jan 20, 2010
Indiana
The tow-haul issue is likely a broken wire at the base of the shift lever. I replaced several of them when I worked at the dealer.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Uh... Yes you do. That's why you have to put a security bypass module on with the remote start. :)

Last edited:

rebel7777

Diesel Head
Jan 15, 2010
Sherwood Park, AB Canada
Mine does it all the time, it is from the remote starter. Everytime I start my truck with the autostart it sets the code. I've been running with the issue for 3+ years and no problems.

The tow/haul button has nothing to do with it, must be a broken wire.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Uh... Yes you do. That's why you have to put a security bypass module on with the remote start. :)

Its in the ignition. Not in the actual key. You can go down to walmart and buy a key for $1.60 and have it cut to be the same as your key and itll start. Trust me

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Huh... Okay my bad. I have the + symbol on my key and I was told that the + meant it was in the key and - meant in the ignition. I was told that's how you knew if the key had the chip in it. I thought that anything after 02 was in the key instead. When did they change over to the chip in the key? And I wonder why my 03 key has the + on it then?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Huh... Okay my bad. I have the + symbol on my key and I was told that the + meant it was in the key and - meant in the ignition. I was told that's how you knew if the key had the chip in it. I thought that anything after 02 was in the key instead. When did they change over to the chip in the key? And I wonder why my 03 key has the + on it then?

I have an 04. None of the 07 down trucks have chips in the key IIRC.

Last edited:

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I have an 04. None of the 07 down trucks have chips in the key IIRC. So do your homework before you go correcting folks

I figure if 3 people (including the dealership that sold me the truck new) tell me the same thing I shouldn't have to do anymore research should I?

The dealership, the manufacturer of my aftermarket security system, and the shop that installed my remote start and security system all three told me the same thing when I wanted to add an aftermarket security setup and your going to sit here and tell me to do my homework before I go correcting people? Whatever man. :rolleyes:
The key that came with my truck has a chip in it. I bought the truck new so there is no question it came with the truck. I had to do a link up to this "non existent" security chip in the $40 spare key the dealership said I had to buy when I gave them my VIN after my wife lost her set. So I either got lied to by three people that I shouldn't need to question or there are some trucks that have this security chip in the key for some stupid reason, so don't sit here and lecture me about doing more research before I correct people after I've heard this from more than one seemingly credible source.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Gmt-800s should not have a chip. 900s should. So yes you may have been lied to. Not lecturing you at all just want the correct info posted up.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Gmt-800s should not have a chip. 900s should. So yes you may have been lied to. Not lecturing you at all just want the correct info posted up.

Which is perfectly fine and I agree.
I had already decided to take your word for it and was planning on leaving out the reason I was told explained my odd codes, which are the same as his. But this post added onto the end would've explained it a lot better and made a lot more sense than the nice little remark you left me with no explanation of why I should believe you instead of the three people that told me the opposite.

I was apparently duped into spending money I didn't need to by a whole group of people and now I know different. End of story.

I do still want to know why my truck came with 2 chipped keys though? I wonder how I could tell if it really has a chip in it other than the hammer test? The only solid info I can find says the plus sign on the key means it has a chip and they both did. I guess for a buck sixty it wouldn't be to expensive to find out for sure now that I know I can get one at wal mart.
F****n stealers...:rolleyes: