Kel Tec Sub 2000

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Anyone know anything about them? Own one? Good? Junk? never seen or heard of it?

A friend of a co-worker has one for sale that is chambered in .40 cal and setup for the Glock clips. I was not familiar with them and was just wondering what others might know about them. The guy's price is waaaay too high at $450 from what I've seen elsewhere online. It does come with 4 reg. clips, the case and 100 rds of ammo. but still seems high to me.

Thoughts?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't care for Kel Tec in general, so I'm a little bias. Its not good for much other then plinking IMO. Often Kel Tec need a little gun smithing to function well and consistently. I agree after a quick search that does seem a bit high.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
I don't care for Kel Tec in general, so I'm a little bias. Its not good for much other then plinking IMO. Often Kel Tec need a little gun smithing to function well and consistently. I agree after a quick search that does seem a bit high.

x2. Cheaper weapon, prob great for plinkin around or the like, wouldnt put my life on it.

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
That's pretty consistent with the conclusion I drew on it without any first-hand experience with one. Just seems like a decent little plinking gun. More for fun rather than function.

I also read quite a bit about needing to do some work on the trigger to get it even decent. :rolleyes:

Might throw an offer his way and see what he says. Can't ever have too many guns I don't imagine. :angel: Would $300 be a decent deal? Prob. not a great deal for me and not too low to hurt him either. I'm told he's just buying it to sell it. So if he can make a buck, thenmaybe he'll let it go cheaper.

He also has a Ruger Mini 14 he wants $600 for. Coworker says it's in like-new condition though. That's kinda spendy too isn't it?

C-ya

Last edited:

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
That's pretty consistent with the conclusion I drew on it without any first-hand experience with one. Just seems like a decent little plinking gun. More for fun rather than function.

I also read quite a bit about needing to do some work on the trigger to get it even decent. :rolleyes:

Might throw an offer his way and see what he says. Can't ever have too many guns I don't imagine. :angel: Would $300 be a decent deal? Prob. not a great deal for me and not too low to hurt him either. I'm told he's just buying it to sell it. So if he can make a buck, thenmaybe he'll let it go cheaper.

He also has a Ruger Mini 14 he wants $600 for. Coworker says it's in like-new condition though. That's kinda spendy too isn't it?

C-ya

Is it a mini14 stainless? if so 600 is not bad if it is still in new condition.If its a ranch model that is a little high .A new mini s/s sells close to 700 out the door at least in Kalifornia. its way better than a kel tec

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
It's not a stainless Mini 14. It's blue with the wooden stock. I haven't seen pics of it. Just second hand info that it's in really good shape.

C-ya

Dec 2, 2006
TN
Got this one coming in Friday:
SA_XD9_3in_lg.jpg

It's a nice little compact carry.

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
If you guys are concerned about prices, PM me. I can quote you dealer prices on most brands. I'm not trying to sell anything. I do this for most people I know. BTW wholesale on a mini-14, 20 round, is just under what he is asking. If it's a 5 round model, he's high.

IMO I would leave that Kel-Tec alone. I stay clear of used "custom" pieces.

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
A friend has one of those Ruger LCP .380 pistols. I'm really wanting one of those AND a compact 1911 in 45acp. :D Bombdoc, feel free to shoot me a PM with price if you want. ;)

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Great Name! :D I Like it!

I concour with everyone else on the Kel-tec. And good advice to steer clear from a customized budget gun. I would also add, IMO, for any defencive use pistol, myself, .40cal minimum. Plinking, whatever! Cheaper ammo is nice for plinkers, which the smaller the cal, the cheaper normally. I will contradict myself a tad, because i do keep a .380 saturday night special in my tool box, just in case. It was real cheap and it will likly not get much if any use and its a case of rather have it and not need it than need and not have. It did take alot of smithing th get it useable though.

And, nope, never enough guns:rofl:

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
just throwing this out there , my mini 14 will out shoot my ar15 any day in indurance. in accuracy the ar is tighter. mini has had only 1 jamed once shooting cheep wolf steel laquered ammo. my ar on the other hand jams about once every hundred roundsonon with good reloaded brass ammo I just cant seam to get it as dependable as my mini.

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
smokeshow, check out the new sig 238. its a 1911 styled .380. almost the same size as the lcp and just a tad heavier. i have the keltec p3at the predecessor of the lcp and love it, but the recoil is tough because of the lack of grip surface. the new sig hopefully helps with this do to the weight.

BombDocDiesel

Army Bomb Squad
May 20, 2009
Belcamp, MD
The Sig is nice but I'd rather not pay the extra $ they are trading at right now. The smallest .380 on the market is SeeCamp and you should see the cost v. trading price on those. Other than that first run of LCPs, which Ruger took great care of, they have been awesome.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
I bought an XD 40 after a good Vegas trip last winter :D. Great gun for the $$. I got the full size because I wanted a comfortable gun to shoot and I don't plan to carry (for now).

At the local gun shop I saw a Walther that is on my list if I ever go to carrying. Maybe a P99? Don't remember for sure but I know it was very small and had a 5 shot clip.

maxaholic

Dec 6, 2008
Central, Texas
I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but have any of you shot a Hi Point. I have onein a 45 and that thing is a shooter. And they are cheap too.