LBZ: Keep breaking starters, anyone else?

bmos37

Nov 23, 2008
Gainesville,FL.
Hey,

Just got my built motor up and running and after breaking the motor in I am not experiencing some problems with the starter. I have run about a 1000 miles when the 1st. Starter busted the bendix and the housing I figured ok normal for a starter to go out,replaced with a new starter it sounded like it was spinning over good for one day,on to day two and I now have another busted starter and it is the bendix again so my question is,,,, are there any other guy's here with built motors and running a high amount of power that are having or ever had similar issue.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Wow how high is the compression? Can you spin the engine over manually or is there a lot of drag? Doesn't seem right possible crank issue or a bolt sticking out contacting flywheel? Does truck run good and sound ok while running?

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
i have a problem with starters on my stock engine. ive been through about 6 of them in a year and a half. the problems with mine are that they dont always engage the flywheel, they jjust spin against it. and the last one actually broke the gear off the starter.

MaxPowerLB7

Amateur
Nov 8, 2007
Spanish Fork, UT
Hey,

Just got my built motor up and running and after breaking the motor in I am not experiencing some problems with the starter. I have run about a 1000 miles when the 1st. Starter busted the bendix and the housing I figured ok normal for a starter to go out,replaced with a new starter it sounded like it was spinning over good for one day,on to day two and I now have another busted starter and it is the bendix again so my question is,,,, are there any other guy's here with built motors and running a high amount of power that are having or ever had similar issue.

Was the flex plate replaced at the time the motor was built? Sounds like it could be a clearance issue, or lack thereof.

I really doubt your problem is power output.

bmos37

Nov 23, 2008
Gainesville,FL.
Wow how high is the compression? Can you spin the engine over manually or is there a lot of drag? Doesn't seem right possible crank issue or a bolt sticking out contacting flywheel? Does truck run good and sound ok while running?

I can spin the motor over freely with my breaker bar and socket with little or no drag at all no bolts sticking out and like I said the 1st starter lasted about a week and this new one went out next day with the same issue. Very confusing to say the least.