Just did headgaskets and studded but chasing issues

PDWolff

Jun 22, 2023
Montana
Local shop wanted to charge me $7500 for headgaskets and to stud the motor so I decided F it I'm doing it myself and I'll take out the EGR while I'm at it (EGR was off but just left in there) so the list of stuff I did is as follows:

Mahle C gaskets
heads were decked and checked for cracks
Xotic head studs
PPE passenger uppipe
LML drivers side manifold
Pusher cold side charge pipe
PCV re-route

I just got it running last night and took it for a test drive. Started getting a ticking sound that at first I thought was an exhaust leak but after doing some research maybe it's an injector that lifted? Plus I have a boost leak once I get around 20psi of boost and it sounds like it's coming from an uppipe so I'm guessing I didn't pay attention and put a gasket in backwards.

PDWolff

Jun 22, 2023
Montana
Sounds like a lifted injector or missing crush washer.
I know for a fact all the crush washers and O-rings were replaced. But there may be a chance I forgot to torque one of the hold downs. It hasn't been run more than maybe 2 or 3 minutes with this ticking. If it is a lifted injector do I gotta replace the o-ring and crush washer again? Or can I just re-seat the injector and torque it down?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
You can inspect the crush washer and replace it if it looks crushed. The O rings can be reused if they where new when you put them in. They are not used to hold pressure. Just to keep contamination out of the bore.

Try retorquing the hold down first and see if it seals up before removing anything

Reactions: PDWolff

PDWolff

Jun 22, 2023
Montana
You can inspect the crush washer and replace it if it looks crushed. The O rings can be reused if they where new when you put them in. They are not used to hold pressure. Just to keep contamination out of the bore.

Try retorquing the hold down first and see if it seals up before removing anything
Will do! I'm going to double check the torque on the rest of the injectors too. I believe I torqued them to 25 ft-lbs. Does that sound right?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I had one lift on me after my HG job. Most likely because I reduced the torque number, because I put Antiseize on the bolts. I think I went twenty five foot pounds a second time. Seems like most guys recommend over torqueing them a little bit.

Reactions: PDWolff

PDWolff

Jun 22, 2023
Montana
I had one lift on me after my HG job. Most likely because I reduced the torque number, because I put Antiseize on the bolts. I think I went twenty five foot pounds a second time. Seems like most guys recommend over torqueing them a little bit.
I ended up torqueing them down to 24 ft-lbs and so far so good!

Reactions: 2004LB7