Jeep Liberty burning oil

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I posted about this over on some jeep forums, but am having no luck over there.

I purchased a 2003.5 Liberty 3.7 limited about a year and a half ago for the wife. It has been a great vehicle. It runs excellent, very quiet and it drives great. Recently we took it on a 1500 mile trip and averaged 20mpg.

The downside is that it burns oil fairly bad. I have to monitor the oil about every 2 weeks and add 1 quart every time. I've even had to replace 1 of the cats from oil contamination.

Some research showed that the valve seals are typically the culprit. Does anyone have any experience with the 3.7 engines? It has zero blow by and runs absolutely amazing. I'd like to fix this though since it gets annoying. I found "updated" heads with complete gasket kits for pretty good deals.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
All of the 3.7 Jeep motors burn oil we fought this constantly sending trade ins to the Jeep dealer to be looked at and they always said there is nothing wrong and 1qt per 1k is normal :eek:

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
Wife's did the same thing. Got so bad it would set the oil light on the dash half way between an oil change. Ended up loosing compression on one cylinder & we traded it off. Never messed around with it enough to figure out the cause

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
All of the 3.7 Jeep motors burn oil we fought this constantly sending trade ins to the Jeep dealer to be looked at and they always said there is nothing wrong and 1qt per 1k is normal :eek:

Lol I understand some oil consumption can be normal, but when it is ruining cats....:spit: