Is this a stock turbo?

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
I was wanting to go with a S300 but that just isn't reasonable for what Im going so I have been looking for an LLY turbo. A buddy said hey I got a turbo you can have. He took it off a blown up truck. It is from an LLY but the intake measures 66.5. Is this a stock turbo? Im counting 10 blades on exhaust and 12 on the intake side if you count the smaller blades. It has some stamping on it. Just trying to figure out what he has. The wheel doesn't look billet to me but I could be wrong. The turbo has no play but the fins on the intake wheel have a few spots messed up from something.

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 25

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I was wanting to go with a S300 but that just isn't reasonable for what Im going so I have been looking for an LLY turbo. A buddy said hey I got a turbo you can have. He took it off a blown up truck. It is from an LLY but the intake measures 66.5. Is this a stock turbo? Im counting 10 blades on exhaust and 12 on the intake side if you count the smaller blades. It has some stamping on it. Just trying to figure out what he has. The wheel doesn't look billet to me but I could be wrong. The turbo has no play but the fins on the intake wheel have a few spots messed up from something.
LLY compressor wheels measure 63.5mm & has 11 blades, all the same length.
Turbo wheel is 13 blades and if I remember right the M48 is an LLY exhaust housing.
Looks like a Danville's, fleece, Dan's diesel, or Ryans.

Any idea how old it is? It has a billet wheel as well.
Does it look like the compressor wheel has touched the compressor cover?

If there's not much play I'd run it if it all checks out okay.
There will be some play side to side being it's a journal bearing turbo, the side to side play goes away once it has oil in it.
What you need to look at is if it has any in and out play, that will tell you if the thrust washer is worn at all.

MaxComp88B

Mar 30, 2022
LLY compressor wheels measure 63.5mm & has 11 blades, all the same length.
Turbo wheel is 13 blades and if I remember right the M48 is an LLY exhaust housing.
Looks like a Danville's, fleece, Dan's diesel, or Ryans.

Any idea how old it is? It has a billet wheel as well.
Does it look like the compressor wheel has touched the compressor cover?

If there's not much play I'd run it if it all checks out okay.
There will be some play side to side being it's a journal bearing turbo, the side to side play goes away once it has oil in it.
What you need to look at is if it has any in and out play, that will tell you if the thrust washer is worn at all.
Side to side play is minimal. It feels very smooth. No in and out play. Im gonna toss him a number and try and get it. Wheel hasnt touched the compressor cover. Im gonna clean it up. Would it be of any benefit to get a new wheel for the compressor as the fins look a little chipped. Not to bad but a few small chips. Thinking out taking it to a local turbo shop to have them rebuild it. Its going on an LMM so I just need to change vane position sensor and the change the oil and coolant lines I believe?

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Side to side play is minimal. It feels very smooth. No in and out play. Im gonna toss him a number and try and get it. Wheel hasnt touched the compressor cover. Im gonna clean it up. Would it be of any benefit to get a new wheel for the compressor as the fins look a little chipped. Not to bad but a few small chips. Thinking out taking it to a local turbo shop to have them rebuild it. Its going on an LMM so I just need to change vane position sensor and the change the oil and coolant lines I believe?
As long as the compressor wheel has contacted the housing or the compressor wheel isn't all beat up you should be fine.
If you have a good local turbo rebuild shop I'd take it to them and have them check it out.