intermitent problem on 5 speed alison

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
driver information center, where like the odometer is (mainly for 03+ trucks). Does it say like range shift inhibited?

Either way, it sure sounds like an NSBU issue to me. I've seen it on many many trucks (including my own) where when they get warm the NSBU fails to read specific gear positions.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So what happens when you try to put it into reverse, nothing? Everything on the dashboard looks normal?

You've got to be detailed here because at the end of the day you are the one who has access to the truck, not us. If you aren't detailed we can't help you.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
If you’ve got no codes, check your batteries for condition. My trans was doing some pretty goofy things like not going into gear, flaring every shift, things like that. Never gave me any codes. New batteries fixed my problems. If batteries are good, check your grounds. Someone else might be able to tell you which ones specifically. Also check the plug on the back of the trans for fluid.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
If you’ve got no codes, check your batteries for condition. My trans was doing some pretty goofy things like not going into gear, flaring every shift, things like that. Never gave me any codes. New batteries fixed my problems. If batteries are good, check your grounds. Someone else might be able to tell you which ones specifically. Also check the plug on the back of the trans for fluid.
This was going to be my next suggestion as well. I've seen many new harnesses leak and have had to replace some brand new ones on customers units which didn't make me happy.

The most consistent harness I've found is the genuine GM/Allison harness. For awhile I was using Rostra as "a harness is a harness". I quickly learned that is not the case. The GM/Allison harness seem to have a better/more forgiving wire (easier to bend) and a bit softer o-ring going through the case. They also have not leaked on me (knock on wood).