intercooler parts and pieces

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I have a screw in plug that I made Eric. I ended up cutting off the whole threaded part and welding in a new peice of pipe.

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
What about if you are running say a GT42 and the compressor side uses a clamp style on the discharge?

Josh Give me a call we have them in stock ready for your welding skills:D

Engine lathe would work just fine.;)

I only made my own because I want it to reduce to 3". The ATP one Never Sat' posted is 3.5" PPE's is 2.5". I wanted to go to 3" IC tubes. I could have used the ATP one with a 3.5" to 3.0" reducer. But I wanted to use all straight silicone to keep things simple. So I made my own. All the silicone is standard 3" straight but the intercooler to tubes boots. Just less stuff I to carry to the pulls.
\

Those work nice but we noticed that it created heat by choking it down that quick along with turbulence back into the charger. We now go more gradual or just go all the way down to the intercooler with the pipe.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Those work nice but we noticed that it created heat by choking it down that quick along with turbulence back into the charger. We now go more gradual or just go all the way down to the intercooler with the pipe.

I am not following what your saying:eek::confused:

JOHNBOY

Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa

How did you figure that out?

The one I made is far less restrictive than the PPE one. The stock intake is more restricting than the PPE adapter. I dont have that either. I am have full 3" tubing from the turbo to the IC and from the IC to the base of the manifolds. I have been logging Charge air temp for over two years now. With the GT42 and the present set up I have never seen Charge temps over 200*. Most of the time it is around 160*

Killerbee

Got Honey?
On all LLY and LBZ vehicles, the size of the turbo to CAC tube is too small and restrictive, and that is responsible for more compression innefficiency, where more boost must be made to overcome the unnecessary resistance....added compression= more heat. Simon that is what I think he is saying.

And it is true, and measurable. Induction heat is everything to this truck. It is parasitic on the turbine side also, in every respect.

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
I know this is off topic guys but i know the lb7 dont have a egr system and llys do. I do have a egr blocker plate on my lly. My question is when i get my gt4202 install kit will it comes with new up pipes and all. I can get up pipes for free will it be cheaper just to get them and tell them i dont need them with the install kit

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
I know this is off topic guys but i know the lb7 dont have a egr system and llys do. I do have a egr blocker plate on my lly. My question is when i get my gt4202 install kit will it comes with new up pipes and all. I can get up pipes for free will it be cheaper just to get them and tell them i dont need them with the install kit

Kurt, I dont think your turbo kit comes with new uppipes. You can cut off the part that connects to your egr cooler and weld it shut though, or use the free lb7 uppipes that you can get.

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Kurt, I dont think your turbo kit comes with new uppipes. You can cut off the part that connects to your egr cooler and weld it shut though, or use the free lb7 uppipes that you can get.

Thats what i will do then larry use my up pipes for that. Any other suggestions about drive pressure larry

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
On all LLY and LBZ vehicles, the size of the turbo to CAC tube is too small and restrictive, and that is responsible for more compression innefficiency, where more boost must be made to overcome the unnecessary resistance....added compression= more heat. Simon that is what I think he is saying.

And it is true, and measurable. Induction heat is everything to this truck. It is parasitic on the turbine side also, in every respect.

I understand if he is saying that.....But that is stock:baby:

I thought he was talking about issues with 3"

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
How did you figure that out?

The one I made is far less restrictive than the PPE one. The stock intake is more restricting than the PPE adapter. I dont have that either. I am have full 3" tubing from the turbo to the IC and from the IC to the base of the manifolds. I have been logging Charge air temp for over two years now. With the GT42 and the present set up I have never seen Charge temps over 200*. Most of the time it is around 160*
I miss read your post I thought you were choking it down farther then what you stated. Are those temps pre cooler?
I am not following what your saying:eek::confused:

We dont use any boots at the dis charge, If we need to bring it down to a smaller size then the discharge of the turbo the farther and longer you can make the transition the better you will be.

JOHNBOY

Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
I understand if he is saying that.....But that is stock:baby:

I thought he was talking about issues with 3"

I agree that the LBZ, LLY pipes are to small. But IMHO the 3" setup from turbo to maniflods is plenty for upto 1000hp. I attached a pic of an LB7 tube and LBZ tube. I removed the neck down from my IC tube. The pics are in this thread.

I miss read your post I thought you were choking it down farther then what you stated. Are those temps pre cooler?

We dont use any boots at the dis charge, If we need to bring it down to a smaller size then the discharge of the turbo the farther and longer you can make the transition the better you will be.

My temps are post cooler. What I am concerned with is IAT vs CAT. I have seen a Stock turbo LLY with temps over 200 degrees.

I have custom transtion that I made. I only have straight boots. I to do not like reducers. Pics below.

Attachments

• IMGP0513.jpg
    IMGP0513.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Johnboys 3in IC tube assembled.jpg
    Johnboys 3in IC tube assembled.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMGP0708.jpg
    IMGP0708.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 42
  • Johnboys 3in IC tube installed.jpg
    Johnboys 3in IC tube installed.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 38

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
I agree that the LBZ, LLY pipes are to small. But IMHO the 3" setup from turbo to maniflods is plenty for upto 1000hp. I attached a pic of an LB7 tube and LBZ tube. I removed the neck down from my IC tube. The pics are in this thread.

My temps are post cooler. What I am concerned with is IAT vs CAT. I have seen a Stock turbo LLY with temps over 200 degrees.

I have custom transtion that I made. I only have straight boots. I to do not like reducers. Pics below.

thats like the one i run but i have a bolt on both sides of the boot with a little metal bar so it wont blow the boot off. they are good for over a 1000 hp truck.

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl

Looks good John

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

I see what your saying now:) I would be just as concerned with bends as I would be with transitions if we wanted a perfect setup

Mine is similar to Johns except I do use a transition hose on the Y bridge
3" x 3 1/4"