LLY: Intake bridge Questions

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
Couple questions; when installin an LBZ intake bridge on an LLY, you need to replace the intake manifolds off the heads with LBZ units, right? Can it all be done without removing the turbo, and can the bridge be removed without disconnecting all the fuel lines? Also, when installing the LBZ bridge on an LLY, will the pipe from the bridge bolt up to the the LLY EGR manifold?

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Couple questions; when installin an LBZ intake bridge on an LLY, you need to replace the intake manifolds off the heads with LBZ units, right? Correct Can it all be done without removing the turbo, Doubt it as you wont be able to remove the bolts on the runnersand can the bridge be removed without disconnecting all the fuel lines? maybe,but i would move them anyways Also, when installing the LBZ bridge on an LLY, will the pipe from the bridge bolt up to the the LLY EGR manifold?
I would get rid of everthing LLY
Also will this work on a LB7? I have a line on LBZ bridge and runners

99% sure it would

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
The reason I was asking about the LBZ bridge bolting to the LLY EGR housing is to make connecting to the CAC as easy as possible. I'd also like to figure out what the best way to get rid of the EGR cooler wuld be. My guess would be a Fed LB7 up-pipe and block off the ports between the EGR valve and intake? Think I need to start making a list of part numbers I need...

How does the tube come out of the bridge? In the removal procedures I have found for bridge replacement, step 2 is remove tube, step 8 is remove bridge. It seems like the tube should just pop out.

Anyone happen to know the part numbers for the bridge and tube (if it doesn't come with the bridge)?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
You can not bolt the LLY intake tube to the LBZ tube that comes out of the Y bridge (the 2 bolt flange) The LBZ is a little under 2 1/2" and the LLY is about 2 1/8". And the bolts are further appart on the LBZ flange. I don't know if the LLY neck will slip into the LBZ bridge but I highly doubt it. But that would pretty much defeat the whole purpose. No clue on the LB7, havent played with one of those yet

Last edited:

Ben46a

Wannabe puller
Sep 4, 2006
Waverley, NS, Canada
You need the whole LBZ intake mainifold/bridge to use on an LB7. Im just gonna put the LB7 gear on my LLY. Have to reroute the Piping from the filter, but its not a big deal.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
LLY and LB7 bridge are interchangable as far as bolting up to the bridges but the way the one-piece LB7 bridge and pipe is made gets in the way of an LLY/LBZ style turbo inlet so it only works with aftermarket turbo setups.

If you don't want to spend the money or can't find an LB7 up-pipe you can cut and drill a flat piece of metal and bolt it to all 4 places that the back of the EGR cooler bolts to, this way you block it and support the pipe so that vibrations don't crack the bellow in the EGR portion of the LLY up-pipe.

Tony burkhart designed an one piece intake bridge and tube that bolts to the LBZ intake runners but looks like an LB7 piece to use on trucks with aftermarket turbos. you can get it through PPE - just ask for the Tony Burkhart intake bridge. Pics can be seen in his garage on diesel place.

Can't get the runner off with the turbo in the way.

On mine I used and LB7 up-pipe and TIG welded the intake tube closed where the EGR valve bolted to it. Then you have to make a bracket to support it or you will get leaks from the O-rings where the tube slides into the intake bridge. My bracket bolt to the front 2 holes on the intake where the EGR used to bolt and then bolts to the sme place on the motor that the EGR valve bolted. Thought about TIG welding the tube into the bridge solid but then you can get to the bolts to take the bridge off the runners.

When i build my motor it will get LBZ runners and bridge with a custom tube coming out of it to the CAC boot, with room to still use my LBZ turbo inlet.