installing guages today...

FullSpec

Served cold.
Apr 6, 2009
and, was wondering where you guys pull your switched and illumination power from? Thanks for the help in advance. :thumb:

02lb7

May 20, 2010
MT
Mine are wired right into the back of my dimmer switch so they dim with my lights, you'll have to pull the dimmer out and use a multimeter to see which wire to tap to get it to work with the dimmer.

niteflite1287

Now with 3 antennas
May 30, 2010
New London, CT
I wired mine down at the MBEC, the reason i chose this over the back of the dimmer is that If i remember correctly the dimmer is actually inline before the fuse for some reason thus the gauges were unfused, which i found undesirable, however there was an open pin in the MBEC for a illum and ign power circuits which I used instead. I can provide photos and part numbers if so needed.

dag4566

May 7, 2009
IIRC its a brown wire with a white stripe on the back of the switch. I put a 5 amp fuse inline in case anything happened. And if you have autometer LED gauges make sure you get there dimmer. P/N 9114.

dag4566

May 7, 2009
cause there bright as hell

theres a thread on here about using a diode off the dimmer wire for led gauges

I think its a resistor not a diode. I didn't want to mess around and see what resistor I needed to make them dim evenly with the cluster so I spent the 30 bucks. It lets me turn them off at night when I'm not towing or racing.

Does it do some damage wiring it with the truck dimmer? I've had mine dim with the factory dimmer for a while now...

Nope, if theyre guages that use light bulbs instead of LEDs they dim pretty much the same as well.

LEDs use a fraction of electricity normal bulbs do so they light up super bright when getting the full 12V. The dimmer lets you dial them up or down depending on your taste. The cobalts are too bright to even drive with them fully lit up at night.

Last edited:

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
I think its a resistor not a diode. I didn't want to mess around and see what resistor I needed to make them dim evenly with the cluster so I spent the 30 bucks. It lets me turn them off at night when I'm not towing or racing.

Its a 330 ohm resistor. I bought the Auto meter dimmer when ordered the gauges, gauges dim with dash dimmer now.