installing aftermarket tach

RichLMM

Sep 5, 2010
North Kingstown RI
want to put a autometer cobalt 5 inch tach in my puller so I can pay attention or atleast try to going down the track what would I need to install the tach? can I tap into the factory tach wire? thanks

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
You should be able to tap into the tach signal wire on the main harness. Atleast I can with my lbz. I believe I need I need to put a resistor in to lower the voltage, but I am not sure what autometer runs on.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Tach

You need to put a resister on tach feed with a 12 volt supply to steps it down to 5 volts. Just going to the tach wire won't make it work.

JD Dave

In way over my head
May 19, 2008
Caledon, Ontario
A resistor or the Dakota digital box. I tried everything to make mine work. The funny part is I have a tach now and have never looked at it.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Theres plenty of articles out there describing how to hook up a tach to an LS engine, and the DURAMAX outputs the same signal from the ECM as an LS does.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Yep!! Exactly right.

Dmax ECM outputs same VSS/speedometer signals as any 99+ gasser ECM too.
The DURAMAX ECM could actually power most any electronic GM speedo. I run my 95's speedo right off the ECM, and use the the 128,000 PPM signal for my ABS. The speedo in my 95 will work with the signal from most any DRAC or VSSB from 88-99 including the black box ECM's from 96-00. My tach was a different story. Since mine was a diesel from the factory, it used an alternator driven tach. Si got a different alternator plug and hooked in there for mine.

Last edited:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Okay I finally got the tach to install and I can't figure it out. Pretty much looking at the directions you don't need any voltage regulator. I can't seen to get to the calibration adjustment though. Even though I've tried a true 5 volt and now 9v on the dimmer wire. It says it need to be between 3 and 12 on the dimmer to access pointer calibrations but I haven't had any luck