Installed drop spindles-need to cut lower ball joint

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
Who has installed McGaughy's drop spindles? Looking for any tips. I am running 17" H2 and will end up trimming the lower ball joint stud/threads for clearance.

Was thinking about running a thread die up onto the ball joint stud before cutting to be able to clean up any damaged threads.

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
Front Coilovers are in

Still working on getting the right spring package. I went with a taller QA1 double adjustable shock up front and ended up with 12" tall spring (wanted to run a 14" spring but will need to fab new upper mounts to do that. Right now I have 600lb springs and will probably end up with closer to 800lb springs when I am done.

It sits looow. Ground clearance on the front is less than 5". I used McGaughy's drop spindles to help get some alignment geometry back but it is still a compromise. The 17" H2s just clear the lower ball joint nut (even after trimming) but it is too close for my comfort so I am now looking for an 18" wheel.

Last edited:

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Looks good! Alstons suggested I go with a shock with 5" travel and a 650lb. spring rate FWIW. I have not got that far yet, but how does that sound? I need the frame to ground right at 4" when done.

Last edited:

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
Looks good! Alstons suggested I go with a shock with 5" travel and a 650lb. spring rate FWIW. I have not got that far yet, but how does that sound? I need the frame to ground right at 4" when done.

Using the stock upper shock mount is my limiting factor right now (it is limiting the amount of shock travel to use a 14" spring). Should not be to hard to fab up a better solution but I am by no means a fabricator or welder so that will have to wait a little while.

650lb may be pretty close to perfect. Judging by my truck I was going to jump up more than that since I will be using a 12" spring for now.

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
Any ideas how to get the tierod back towards being level? It is a little hard to tell with in my pics but the angle is still pointing up a bunch. What does that affect (I am no suspension guru). Ball joint angles are not perfect but have improved and the camber adjustment is also coming back (it will still be towards the max).

JShe8918

Feb 17, 2009
That is extremely low! Looks nice. I was just looking at the angles and i was wondering the same thing to be honest.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
From looking at my 2x4 truck, it looks like the center link could be flipped over, and the shock mounted on the other side of the chassis. That should put the angles in a better position (aprox 1-1.5" higher). Without taking it apart, it's hard to tell if it will work.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
It is a little hard to tell with in my pics but the angle is still pointing up a bunch. What does that affect (I am no suspension guru).
The only negative from that would be that when the front rises at launch, the tires will slightly toe out.

rmallen30

Aug 12, 2009
hillsboro ohio
if you still want to run a 17'' just be sure you get the correct offset i have a jet of 17''s that i race w/ and did not run into clearance issues with but i have still raced w the hummers w that 1/4 spacer yes it close almost to close but have not had any touching the the wheel since cutting

JMK777

16's, but i keep em clean
Mar 20, 2008
Moss Beach
From looking at my 2x4 truck, it looks like the center link could be flipped over, and the shock mounted on the other side of the chassis. That should put the angles in a better position (aprox 1-1.5" higher). Without taking it apart, it's hard to tell if it will work.

when you say flip the link over, you want the tips of the link to face backwords? you might have to retaper the holes?

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
when you say flip the link over, you want the tips of the link to face backwords? you might have to retaper the holes?

Keep the tips facing the cab, but flip it over! I have seen kits @ www.speedwaymotors.com (I think thats where), that convert to a bolt and nut, and have a tapered "washer" to fill the hole. Might be worth a try to get that angle alot better.

Last edited:

freightdriver

Jul 21, 2009
just curious whats your truck measuring from the center of the hub to the top of the wheel well? if its anything close to mine make sure you drive semi carefully :thumb: i've got afew good scrape marks already...