Question: Injectors

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Will a higher return rate be reflected in the balance rates?

I have a barely noticable touch of gray smoke at idle, most of the time it is only visible to me. Unless you look into the pipe or against a black background, or at night in other's headlights. Maybe I'm paranoid :D

Checked the balance rates (Park with all accesories on) and the worst one is +1.3? or so. In Drive w/foot on brake they were better than that. It is odd because the last time that one was +2.3 and the time before that it was +2.8.

Mar 25, 2008
Whitehorse Yukon
From what I have read I am pretty sure if it is within + or - 6 your ok on balance rates. Are you sure it is grey and not blue or maybe white? White would probably be coolant and blue the first cause is a plugged pcv more than likely the hose being kinked.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The difference between your highest and lowest should not be alot. I would start being concerned at +/- 4, but I believe the book may be +/-6.

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
Will a higher return rate be reflected in the balance rates?

I have a barely noticable touch of gray smoke at idle, most of the time it is only visible to me. Unless you look into the pipe or against a black background, or at night in other's headlights. Maybe I'm paranoid :D

Checked the balance rates (Park with all accesories on) and the worst one is +1.3? or so. In Drive w/foot on brake they were better than that. It is odd because the last time that one was +2.3 and the time before that it was +2.8.
;)

Brandon, I don't know how you can tell the color in headlights. In fact when I'm in the seat looking into the passenger side mirror, I think mine looks gray all the time, unless I'm really on it, then I know it's black. Have someone operate it and you stand outside and watch so you can really see if it is in fact off colored.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Haha, I'm hoping thats the case Ted...and it probably is :D

Specialagent, the color is gray as far as I can tell. I have checked the coolant and nothing seems off there, same level it always is, looks clean, and temp is normal.
The PCV is just a metal tube at the front of the motor and I don't notice anything abnormal there...is there something else to check at that? Oil level is consistant.

LBZ, the balance rates across all 8 was around 2 or a little more.

Ted, when I noticed the color it was from standing outside with the truck idleing and me looking into the pipe, I could see slight gray puffs. In fact, I can not see any haze at idle from the driver's seat during daylight...only shows in the mirror with the backlight of headlights at a stop.
I have had four people look at it, two notice it, and two do not. I'm wondering if it may have to do with the humidity in the air...seems more noticable on humid days.

Last time my truck had another operator my "learning disabled" Alli suddenly became Einstein and quickly adapted to them. It shifted like crap for a day or so after.

The truck is due for a fuel filter (10K mi) so maybe that is contributing?

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Ever since I tuned my turbo to act like an lb7 at idle if it idles long enough it will start to haze. I belive it's just unburnt fuel and nothing else.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'd say your balance rates are fine. I know what you are talking about as mine has a little haze as well-especially with the post injection turned off. But a little bit of haze at idle has never bothered me when running a bigger tune. I kind of expect it.

I wonder if dropping the rail pressure at idle a little would help at all........?