LLY: Injector keeps loosing it's seat in motor

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
What can be the reason my injector in cyl 8 keeps loosing it's seat? I noticed a few weeks ago some oil around the injector/valve cover area.also my balance rate as been around a 2.0-2.5. So I pulled the hold down bolt out and it seems like that injector is too easy to wiggle around.. Could it be a bad o ring or copper washer not seated right? I moved the injector around and tryed putting more pressure on it to seat in the head better, then torqued the hold down bolt back to 18ft lbs. balance rate went down to a 0.5-0.8 for a couple weeks until I start hammering on it again it comes back to a 2.0-2.5 and I can see some residue of wet oil it seems like around that injector.. Compression blowing out is my thought. What usually causes an injector to loose it's seat? I am about to order a new copper and a couple o rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Copper washer is what makes your seal. If the injectors were replaced & the bores were not cleaned it could give you problems like you are describing.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
The orings don't hold the injector in, that's just a dust seal. You should put a new copper crush washer on there and replace the hold down bolt. Also torque them down more than the rated 18ft lbs. I believe a lot of guys are torquing them down to around 35 ft lbs with no issues.

That will most likely solve your issue.

Devon

broke my curse
May 2, 2010
Hinsdale ma
Ok because that injector was replaced about 6 months ago. And the balance rate has always been about a 2.0-2.3. But I think there's crap in the bore which is making it not seat properly I'm assuming. What is a good way to clean the bore. What are you guys using to spray down there? I'm just worried about crap falling in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I don't spray anything down there. If you have a skinny enough vaccum attachment then use that. I just use a rag and swirle it around with a screw driver. You can dampen the rag with brake clean also so the particle stick to it.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
use a shope vac necked down to a fuel hose small enought to fit down there. this has to be caused by cleanlyness.

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Injector hold down should be torqued to 23ft. lb. What I use to clean the bore is a small piece of hose with paper towel wrapped around it with brake clean on it.