LB7: Injector balance rates on edge CTS2 insight not working?

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Hey everyone, was just trying to see who else has an Edge CTS2 insight, I got one the other day and tried to use it on my 03 LB7 and the edge worked on the regular gauge mode but when I went to tried to use the balance rate test it threw some very strange numbers and it was almost like it crashed after? I figured it needed an update, tried to do one and it didn’t need an update, tried it again, went for a drive with the gauges on worked awesome, tried balance rate test again, threw some very strange numbers, all were in the 100s and positive? Then screen went black and said ensure ignition is on and turned off, but my truck was running. I haven’t tried it since then, but has anyone had issues like this? Is it the insight or is it my truck that has something wrong with it?

Here are some pictures from the first day I tried it, it turned off too quick yesterday for me to take a picture

c27eb605307ca2014d6fb765529895dc.jpg

This is the only one closest to what it should like I assume and some of the numbers are awful

32be8b1a7c903f6683f08e656f723339.jpg

And this was right before it crashed, don’t know what to make of that, but last night all the numbers were in the 100’s I think one was up to 600 again, and 2 injectors read zero

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Looks like for some reason in the balance rate fuction it's still reading certain gauges. Did you try calling edge? Their tech support is pretty decent.

I have not, I tried the update process but after it hooked to the computer it said no updates, I will send them an email to see what’s going on and if they can do anything for me

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Tried to register my insight, no luck, website wasn’t working, did send the tech department an email describing the problem, so the waiting game begins

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Got it updated, normal gauge read outs were working, tried the balance rate test again and still displaying the 8 gauges I was watching on the home screen as the balance rates, however it did pop up with a new message telling me my truck doesn’t support this PID and it turned off twice saying ignition needs to be on for the edge to work, even though my truck was running

So my question is what sensors are used to get the balance rates, I’m thinking something is wrong with my truck now, it has a surging idle again, just ordered another FPR, I had installed a non Bosch one in February and it lasted till about 3 weeks ago is the FPR used for fuel metering? Something must not be working right, will a surging idle make the ECM not test?

I will try my insight on my dad’s truck (05 LLY) tomorrow though see if it will work on his truck, his truck doesn’t surge

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Balance rates won't run without a stable idle. LB7s are funny anyway, especially the very early ones (not sure which one you have). I've seen some '01 trucks that I couldn't get to read balance rates at all no matter what.

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Interesting. I have a cts2 but i have not messed with balance rates yet. Not sure why but I haven’t.

Balance rates won't run without a stable idle. LB7s are funny anyway, especially the very early ones (not sure which one you have). I've seen some '01 trucks that I couldn't get to read balance rates at all no matter what.

Sorry I have an 03, my idle does bounce around intermittently, pretty sure it’s the FPR again, I bought a Bosch one online last night but I put in an aftermarket one that was clearly low quality as it started surging again a few weeks ago, lasted about 3-4 months, truck was idling perfectly till I tried remote starting it and it started for a second then died and just kept cranking, had to run out and stop it then reprime the fuel system, it was weird, ever since then the surge slowly came back, not as bad as it was with the original FPR

Where does the ECM get the balance rate info from? What sensors? The edge said my truck didn’t have the PID?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

Yep, I remember when I was running an 01 OS. Iwould get -512ms for balance rates all the time.

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Looks like for some reason in the balance rate fuction it's still reading certain gauges. Did you try calling edge? Their tech support is pretty decent.

Interesting. I have a cts2 but i have not messed with balance rates yet. Not sure why but I haven’t.

Yep, I remember when I was running an 01 OS. Iwould get -512ms for balance rates all the time.

Well I tried my edge insight cts2 on my dad’s 05 LLY and the balance rates worked perfectly in drive and park, but not on my truck, what sensor or computers figures out the balance rates? Last time I tried it said my truck didn’t have the PID for the balance rates? What could be going wrong?

MidnightLB7

Feb 18, 2018
Did you ever get your idle fixed?

Trying not to change another FPR right now but I think it’s inevitable, I put a Standard OE replacement in at the end of last year, I have a turbo horn and a Bosch FPR to install if I keep having problems, do both at the same time as same parts are needed to be removed to get in there

Hasn’t done it since I put a half litre of 2 stroke oil and some diesel Kleen in when I got fuel yesterday, I’ll keep watching it

Started searching on here and was trying to get more ideas of why it’s surging, so I’m gonna replace some rubber lines off the fuel filter head, before I added the oil it was super intermittent, what things can cause the surging? Air leaks? CP3?