Info wanted: how many miles on your ovals, what do you think?

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
:D
So how many miles do you have on your oval bowl pistons? And how do you like them thus far, fuel mileage, oil consumption, sound of the engine etc etc....

I'm looking into using the oval bowl pistons in my build, the only thing I am really all that worried about is, I drive my truck allot, and I'm wondering what kind of longevity the oval bowl pistons offer, sure they're stronger across the wrist pin area, and they open up the piston bowl, but how do they hold up against the test of time/miles???

I just don't want to tear back into it in 80-100k like I would have to with a forged set, I'm guessing Jon's oval bowl pistons would hold up just as good or better than standard MAHLE race cast pistons, but I'd just like to hear a little more feedback before I pull the trigger:cool:

Thanks guys/gals:hug:

Last edited:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Also, the truck is a daily driver and it will still need to tow a heavy load occasionally, as I said before, I drive the truck allot, 100mi a day sometimes more or less, but I drive it every day.

I need to take into consideration mileage/economy, exhaust emissions, longevity etc etc and with this thread, I am hoping to attain that info from you guys running Jon's oval bowl pistons..

If you wouldn't mind sharing compression ratio's, turbo set ups, peak hp and peak boost numbers, that would be really cool too:thumb:

Thanks again:)

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Bump it up for some fresh eyes maybe...

Rob/Dustin/Verlon
Isn't Verlon running a set of Ovals in his rig??? I thought he was...

Mark B is runnin a set
Matt is

I know there's many more...;)

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Youll be replacing forged pistons long before you reach 100k miles...let alone 80k miles. I would say you'll be close to finishing off set #2 by 80k.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
Youll be replacing forged pistons long before you reach 100k miles...let alone 80k miles. I would say you'll be close to finishing off set #2 by 80k.

depends on the build and builder. and.. luck i think lol

my engine builder has close to 65k on a set of Mahle forged with zero blow by and hes running 1k+ hp. and live in Idaho with cold start frequent.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Verlon busted his crank, not sure if he went with all new internals or not.
The crank broke...But I think the pistons were fine....

he did not replace anything else. new lb7 crank and all the rest of the original parts were put back in.
So he'll be reusing the "oval bowl pistons" that he had in there when the crank broke, right?
And didn't you say he had 25k on those pistons?

While it's been seen numerous times, I'd have to say some factors are at play that could be shortening the lifespan of the builds out there using forged pistons.

The forged pistons are a pretty big crapshoot as far as longevity, if you ask me, and require a knowledgeable builder and disciplined heart to use. Really, between set up and how the user uses, maintains the build and understands metallurgy differences between the block, pistons and head, and how often the rig gets turned off and started cold, all play a huge role in the engines longevity, if I were to guess I'd say it's 20x more important/detrimental/crucial to the forged pistons vs cast, but that's a from the hip shot at a guess...;)

Last edited:

prodiesel804

Feb 1, 2013
Ky
got about 3000 on mine, about 13.2 mpg with a 75-87-.9 16/1 compression wish it was a little higher. no complaints but does have its own exhaust note.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
got about 3000 on mine, about 13.2 mpg with a 75-87-.9 16/1 compression wish it was a little higher. no complaints but does have its own exhaust note.
Thanks for the reply!

Serious question:
So is 13.2mpg a good economy for this set up, for you?
One of the things I was hoping to decipher, was, how the oval bowl pistons fared in the economy department...I may be mistaken, but from my research the oval bowl pistons seem to be yielding a lower than normal attainable economy than the standard MAHLE race cast pistons, is this a true or common trend...

I realize that they are typically being utilized in builds achieving really big power #'s, I'm just wondering what to expect out of them, I don't really want to suffer an economy loss if I can help it....

I've got a call in to Jon, and I hope to get some info from him when he has the time, but any feedback from real world daily driving experience from multiple guys is always good to gather ;)

Thanks

prodiesel804

Feb 1, 2013
Ky
im running 100overs, dual lbz pumps, billet 75/87/.9. i didnt think 13.2 was to bad with a big single in town driving. if i had it to do again i would go to 16.5-1 comp since it is a daily driver. All depends on what you are trying to do.

Last edited: