Impact sensor help!

1brokekid

Feb 5, 2014
Mods please move if I'm in the wrong place.

Ok so I'm having some issues with my service airbag light. It's been on since I bought the truck over a year ago, and just recently I've decided to try and fix it. I had the codes pulled and it said it was a front impact sensor, but I can't remember if it had a number after it like "impact sensor 1" or impact sensor 2". I want to say it said number 2, but I'm really not sure.

Anyway, Bought a new one and replaced the only impact sensor I could see under the front of the truck, right in the middle on the bottom of the core support, and nothing changed. I also disconnected the batteries for about 15 min before replacing it.

I keep reading that there's 2 impact sensors on like 06 or newer trucks? I'm not sure. Can someone help me out here? I will get the codes pulled again soon. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Be VERY careful when playing with airbags.I do this for a living and have seen the damage they do when a simple mistake is made.I strongly recommend a qualified shop take a look,If you blow them your boned,if they do it...I would look for previous collision damage as well.hope you get it straightened out.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
There is only 1 impact sensor up front on the 01-10 trucks not sure about 11+ Get us codes. You may have a latch code stored in the SIR module and it won't clear if so.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
An open circuit to the front impact sensor can cause that as well. As mentioned the exact code number will allow us to tell you. It'll either be "discard front impact sensor", which means the circuit is good and the sensor is sending a signal that it's bad, or "front impact circuit resistance high or open", which means the circuitry has been compromised.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Be VERY careful when playing with airbags.I do this for a living and have seen the damage they do when a simple mistake is made.I strongly recommend a qualified shop take a look,If you blow them your boned,if they do it...I would look for previous collision damage as well.hope you get it straightened out.

Is it possible that the airbag has been deployed and not replaced?

1brokekid

Feb 5, 2014
There is only 1 impact sensor up front on the 01-10 trucks not sure about 11+ Get us codes. You may have a latch code stored in the SIR module and it won't clear if so.

An open circuit to the front impact sensor can cause that as well. As mentioned the exact code number will allow us to tell you. It'll either be "discard front impact sensor", which means the circuit is good and the sensor is sending a signal that it's bad, or "front impact circuit resistance high or open", which means the circuitry has been compromised.

All good info, will get said codes asap. Haven't fooled with it at all since i posted this. The truck has been in a collision in the front, as the entire front boot has been repainted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk