I'm suppose I'm deranged but.....

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
On one of my half drunken thinking sessions I came up with an idea that SHOULD work as far as I can work out with my limited knowledge. I'vs always wanted a 7th gear for cruising on the highway to lower the rpms but the zf-6 only has 6 gears of course and the tallest ring and pinion made for the rear is a 3.35 iirc and that still doesn't bring the numbers to where I'd like them. I also thought of having a custom ring and pinion cut but then of course the low end would got to hell in a hand basket which brought me to my idea, and as far as I can work out it should work but only for zf-6 equipped trucks. Mounting position and driveshaft modification aside, why couldn't you take a transfer case and turn it around backwards effectively making the outpu the input and the low range now the high range? I worked all the numbers and it lines out perfectly with the transfer case ratio to go from 6th in high range (which now would be low) to 4th in low range (which is now high). So what have I missed that keeps this from working? Will the transfer case not handle that kind of rpm? I have all the numbers written down at home if anybody is curious I can post them later.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Um no

There is an add on overdrive i have heard of,theres some guy running around here in a hot rod dodge that has this and from what i hear its kind of like a 2 speed thing back by the rear end.i know nothing about this and or weather it works i do know a guy that rode in the truck and said its faster then hell and was beating any dmax with a caned tuner.i would really like to meet this guy on the street somewhere but it hasnt worked out.......Yet!

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Um no

There is an add on overdrive i have heard of,theres some guy running around here in a hot rod dodge that has this and from what i hear its kind of like a 2 speed thing back by the rear end.i know nothing about this and or weather it works i do know a guy that rode in the truck and said its faster then hell and was beating any dmax with a caned tuner.i would really like to meet this guy on the street somewhere but it hasnt worked out.......Yet!

Hmmm..... Well upon consulting the google machine all the two speed rear axles I can find are an underdrive gear, not overdrive

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Hmmm..... Well upon consulting the google machine all the two speed rear axles I can find are an underdrive gear, not overdrive
That depends how you set it up,most guys want more pulling power not taller gears for better fuel milage,so they gear down you are looking to gear up.I will ask my buddy tomorrow what the name of this was.

Kappa9012

MAN.... I Broke it again.
Aug 5, 2008
Peoria Il
interesting, I new gear vendors thought their shit was gold, but I have never looked to see what they offered for larger trannies.

mill1901

Newb
Nov 6, 2012
Thief River Falls, MN
A two speed rear axle uses a solenoid to engage a planetary gearset. I am not very familiar with them, but I know that a lot of the two speed rear axles were used on 60's and 70's trucks. I've driven an International and two Chevy trucks with the two speed rearend.

rcr450mx

Dec 7, 2010
Indiana
I did a little more research and you can find two speed rear ends all the way up into the early 90's in chevy top kicks. The rear ends were produced by Eaton. The two speeds were popular around the 50's and 60's when trucks were under powered.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Man I missed your threads!!! Didnt even read any of it....now im gonna scroll back up and read it then make a smart ass reply

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Kspent.... why not just kick into neutral more often???
Because kickin it into neutral doesn't help me cruise down the highway at 100mph with low rpms at 4 in the morning like I like to do on a regular basis

It should spin backwards, it does when your in reverse.

That's what I'm thinking :confused: But there's no way I've actually had an original, feasible, great idea!

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
And the numbers are as follows that I worked out with a calculator and the speed calculator here http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/tyres.html

Transmission ratios:
1st-5.79
2nd-3.30
3rd-2.10
4th-1.31
5th-1.00
6th-.72

T-case ratios
High-1:1
Low-2.72:1

So top speed with my tires and 3.73 ring and pinion is 113 at 3200rpm but when the t case is turned around and shifted into low, which is now high, it effectively multiples the engine rpm by 2.72 which would put me shifting from low range in 6th gear at 113mph@3200rpm into 4th gear in high range at ~2100rpm and could be run up to 169mph@3200rpm given enough power, stability, downforce, and most importantly, enough balls!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Your problem will be "how are you gunna attacht it" and i dont think the oil pump for the case works in reverse but i could be wrong.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Your problem will be "how are you gunna attacht it" and i dont think the oil pump for the case works in reverse but i could be wrong.

The attachment would be a bit difficult but its nothing that some custom fabricated bracketry and an assortment of custom made shafts wouldn't solve.